Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

revolvers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90STYLE, Apr 11, 2001.

1. 90STYLE

90STYLE Registered Member

i was wondering if anybody has ever used revolovers on a full size. I was thinking in the rear.... me and bigdaddy89 have talked about this, but I didn't know if anybody ever had.????

2. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

i thoguth about it but what i didnt like was it was a two piece shackle with that you would lose axle weight witch would couse axle hopp my thgouth was it you could jsut make the shackle part jsut a once pice revolr you would have axle weight off the truck and no twist?? im going to try this in a month or two will post my findings

Bandit
    (Your right i dont understand the jeep thing)

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Post a pic of it Bandit, I'm kicking this idea around too. I think you have the wheel hope thing alitlle confused (or maybe I do).
    As far as I know, wheel hop happens when the pinon (and houseing) try to crawl up the ring grear and wraps the leaf spring into a S shape, then the spring un-wraps and "hitts" the tires, causeing them to lose traction and bounces the off the ground, thus- wheel hop. Rear shackles should not have much of a impack on wheel hop, they are mostly there to just hold up the rear of the leaf spring pack and provide -some- lateral support.
    Thats my theory and I'm stickin' to it.

Twiztid

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Shawn did this set up on his Potent Rodent blazer. Read about it on <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.off-road.com/chevy/>http://www.off-road.com/chevy/</A>.

5. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

ahh twiztid you are right i should had clearfied a little better what meant was if you lose weight on the axle witch you would but a shackle that opens like double shackles do you would lose weight witch means traction i will post a pics when i get mine built it will be a while so dont hold your breath

Bandit
    (Your right i dont understand the jeep thing)

6. bherring

bherring Registered Member

It is definitely true that you lose traction when weight is reduced, but the traction you're talking about losing is better than no traction at all. The tire with the extended shackle would be in the air if it were a standard shackle. Those things don't unfold until all of the weight is off that corner.

81/350/350/208/D44/14B/6"/36"

7. extremeblazer

extremeblazer 1/2 ton status

I too was thinking about using revolver shackles in my K5. Then I watched a Jeep cherokee equiped with the revolvers in a parking lot. During quick acceleration the rear of the truck would lift up high and the rear axle would wheel hop like hell. This was because during wheel hop the axle twist up in the front and down in the rear. With a normal shackle the spring is locked in place and the axle twist the spring out of shape untill it binds and stops. With the revolvers the rear of the spring is allowed to keep pulling down opening the revolvers, giving much more of an angle on the pinion then with stock shackles limited by spring twist. The rear of the truck looked like it lifted about 1.5 feet. Also during breaking the rear of the truck was allowed to lift up opening the revolvers, talk about nose dive. This was just scary. I have also talked to people that have used them on the trails and have seen people suddenly roll. This was because the truck would be on a hill and when the weight shifted to one side of the truck the opposite revolver would suddenly open and unload any weight to the other side causing a roll over. I talked with the company that manufactures them about three months ago and they knew about all these problems. I asked if the revolver could be locked down when not in use to act like a normal stock shackle. I was told that they had looked into this but it would require a redesighn of the product. I decided to stay a way and others on this site have seen people that they know remove them because of near death problems.