Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rewelding Perches

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5thatShmobs, Oct 30, 2002.

1. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Im getting a 14B FF this weekend, and I want to twist the spring perches for a better driveshaft angle. For anyone that has done this, do you have any suggestions on methods to ensure the best angle, and to make sure everything is straight? ** AND ** As far as welding goes... Whats a good voltage level and line speed for welding on the 14B axle material?

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I ground the welds down with a die grinder with a cuttoff wheel on it and a regular grinder. I then got a big cold chisle and beat the things off with a BFH. Then I ground the tube smooth. I made new spring perches out of 2.5" .25 wall box steel and a hole saw. The factory perches were cast iron and I didn't want to mess with that and I made the new perches to give some more lift too (about 3/4" taller then stock). Then I bolted it up under the truck, Put some jackstande under the axle, put the weight of the truck on the axle, got it all positioned (I eyeballed the pinion angle...I have a good eye), and tacked it in place. I then took it out, welded it all up (including the diff ) and then put it all back together.

You will find it alot easier to do all this if you have the drums and axle shafts out...it will be lighter and won't hurt as much when you drop that pig on your toe /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif