Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rewiring my entire blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Nonesuch, Aug 11, 2001.

1. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I am thinking about rewiring my entire blazer from tail lights to headlights and was wondering what would be the best way to go. I am considering either a good condition factory set up from a parts truck, a painless wiring system, or a system from the GM Performance Parts catalog. My question is if anyone here has done this and which way they went and how easy it was. All feedback is greatly appreciated.

2. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I never did a Blazer but I helped a friend do his Chevy Truck. He bought a kit from Painless Wiring and it was a snap. The wires were all the correct color, length and had all the connectors. They also included a wiring diagram to help you install it. It took longer to remove the old wiring than it did to install the new one. I would highly recommend a kit from them.

Real four wheelers don't need tools to remove body panels, paint, tail lights..etc.
    P.S. Ask me why it is called "BODY SNATCHER"

3. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

The kits from Painless are great, but definitely expensive. If you can find a good donor vehicle, it will save you money. I am using a Painless kit, and am very happy with it.

I believe that the GM Performance wiring kits are just re-branded Painless kits.

Robb
    '73 GMC Suburban - 502DFI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>community.webshots.com/user/robbrj</a>

4. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

i figured as much when i saw the kits in the GM catalog. do you remember which kit you bought from painless. i think i need the 18 circuit kit (for furtue tbi, ac, and etc.) summit has one for 4x4's, is that the one to go with?

5. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I have a cab wiring harness out of a 85-87 Blazer.. it's complete. in great shape.. complete with fuse block if your interested..
    I got it out of a donor vehicle and sold the truck I was going to use it in..
    I took my time removing it.. so all the wires are great..
    Let me know if you'd be interested..

Round Rock, Texas I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rocko.rockcrawler.com>www.rocko.rockcrawler.com</a>

6. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

I'm using the 10205 18 Circuit Pickup Truck Harness Assembly for 1973-1987 GMC/Chevrolet 2x4 &amp; 4x4. SummitRacing.com lists it for $485.

Robb
    '73 GMC Suburban - 502DFI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>community.webshots.com/user/robbrj</a>