Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rewiring whole truck-how hard is it?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by xnoahx, Oct 3, 2004.

1. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Thinking about rewiring my 73 with a kit from painless wiring. Who has done this and how difficult is it? I was thinking of going with the 18 circuit one for GM trucks. Let me know what its like and what I can expect to ecounter(problems)

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I didn't rewire with painless, but if it's got door jamb switches and what not, hardest part is getting all the wiring tucked up under the dash, and I'd assume if you have a domelight, the domelight wiring. Making it functional/decent looking was darn near impossible, I'm still not happy with it around the column, too many wires, not enough room to make it look "clean".

I did it with no interior, so it was pretty easy, still time consuming. I'd not want to tackle it without at least stripping the dash to bare metal. Cluster, dashpad, lights, etc.

Guess the only difference between painless and factory is what "options" the painless kit comes with, although I'm guessing the circuit count is what gets you in the ballpark for your options.

3. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

I just got done installing the painless kit #10101. It is the 12 circuit kit with the gm steering. Anyway it is a nice kit and it was very easy to install and if you would happen to have any problems there tech line is very helpfull. Shop around because the kits very a little bit. If you dont want to deal with the elec. windows and stuff just stick with the 12 instead of the 18 circuit kit. All in all i have installed two of these kits and they were both very easy and the directions where right on. I think that you would be very happy with the kits which ever you chose to go with.

4. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

How much does a 18 circuit kit run in cost, Im also looking at rewiring my 83 Diesel

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i got the 18 from jegs and it wasent that hard, me and my dad did it not workin very hard in a weekend, but man dose everything work so m,uch better with good wires!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Check out hot rod wires they make a 12, 18, and 24 ciruit harness. I have seen these in person, very nice. They use a thicker gauge wire compaired to painless kits. The best part the 12 circuit harness is only $159.