Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

RF Gain

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Drey, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Im a bit confused about the RF Gain knob and have always just had it cranked way up. I read this and now im not sure if it should be set like that, can anyway dumb this down a bit for me.

"RF gain: This is similiar to squelch but it does not cut out the noise. The RF gain attenuates incoming signal. It only reduces the signal strength of which you are receiving them at, so very strong station will be slightly affected while distant stations will not be heard. This does not actually affect their output signal, it only affects the signal you receive."

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I normally leave the RF gain turned up all the way. By turning it down, you won't hear the people futher away.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

It is also nice to limit loud peaks and noise . Especially when it noisy on a given day .

" An RF gain control sets the gain ahead of the receiver mixer. Adjustment to the gain of the first stage in the receiver can assist reception in cases where front-end-overload may be bothersome. This occurs when trying to receive a weak signal adjacent in frequency to a very strong local signal. "

Clicky