Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

RH steer arm

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by mccomas, Dec 22, 2005.

1. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

anyone answer up - easy ?

i started installing ord cross over. as you guys know, their steering arm (passenger side) has 2 holes so you can go high steer. i am NOT doing high steer. which hole do i use for my draglink: front or back? thanks...

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

back (closest to the axle)

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

every time ive seens it its in the front hole. it offers more leverage which makes it easier to steer[​IMG]

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Why would it be any differant without highsteer?[​IMG]

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You can use either hole. The correct hole is the one that is farther out. When I did my crossover I tried out both holes. I started in the hole closer to the studs. It offered a sweet turning radius, but it also gave me death wobble when I hit bumps a certain way and decreased steering power. So I moved the draglink to the outer whole and it cured the death wobble problem and gave me more leverage on the steering but, it didn't give me as good of a turning radius.

I do credit not having as much lock to lock steering to helping me not break axles in my 10 bolt front. My wheels won't turn as far as if they were in the inside hole which is easier on the ujoints. On a D60 though that is less of an issue.

Harley

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

You'll use the front hole for the draglink, for the reasons listed above. Basically it's the one set up for the right turning radius vs. power tradeoff. It's always a guessing game to get the exact hole location on the steering arms, especially with leaf springs. There's a good bit more to it than meets the eye. The mounting points are subtly different for leaf, coil, or full hydro steering systems to make them work their best.

Hoss, you should be getting the knuckles to the steering stops under most conditions, especially if you roll just a bit as you turn. There is some variation in how far different steering boxes will turn but you should still hit the stops most of the time.

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

With the mish mash of parts that went into assembly of the crossover steering on my truck it is hard to say why my truck won't hit the steering stops. The knuckles are Jeep Wagoneer knuckles with the stops set for the Waggy, and with the small differences in center to center lengths of the pitman arm and steering arm it won't quite get to the stops. Eventually I will get around to figuring it all out but right now I am 800 miles away from my truck. Eventually I will probably buy a new steering arm with the draglink hole milled in a custom spot to work with my particuar steering setup and truck. I know that most of the steering arms produced are setup for "ballparks" or where the draglink hole normally sits with most setups.

But for now since the steering system works pretty well and has no real problems I will just reset my steering stops and live with it till I have time and money to deal with it all. Plus it may not be worth it since I may have found a Ford HPD60 that might get swapped in. Time will tell the tale.

Harley

8. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The important thing is matching the pitman arm and steering arm lengths but there are variations in knuckles and steering boxes also that don't make it as precise as it could be.