Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rhino line

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Roostr84, May 8, 2001.

1. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about rhinolining my interior (floor & bed sides). Does anybdy have an estimate on what this would cost?
    Thanks guys.

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Do a search, alot on this . . . I would say 3-500$ but dont quote me on that . . .

- SlyDog [​IMG]

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Are you going to do it yourself?? Or have a shop do it??? Big difference in price.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>http://community.webshots.com/user/vwryda</A>

4. CraigG

CraigG Registered Member

I haven't done it yet, but all of the places I have called have said 7-10 bucks a square foot, with some sort of minimum, usually around 200 bucks. If you find better, let me know. Maybe I'm getting the run around.

5. red75blazer

red75blazer Registered Member

I had the same experience two years ago. couldn't get any place to tell me anything. Finally I gutted the interior and drove in with just the driver seat. a line-x place did the whole inside of my blazer for $450 in Stockton, Ca. Just make it easy for them.....

red75blazer

6. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies guys. I am having them do it, I dont think you can get rhino lining to DIY. The other stuff (herculiner etc) was something i was considering but after seeing my friends rhino lined bed it shows how inferior they are IMO. I d realize that this has been discussed in the 73-up forum but i figured asking someone with the same body as mine would be most accurate. thanks again everyone.

7. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Roostr84: Wulf used to post that the DIY kits were basically junk and the good liners were the ones that were professionally applied, hot. He also used to post that the cold professionally applied linings were really no better than the DIY ones. No experience with this on my part, and it is something I want to do in the future.

8. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Thanks Steve, I had forgotten about that till you mentioned it. I will have to check it out.

9. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

Roostr,
    I have had the Rhino Lining (Hot) in one truck, the Linex Lining (cold) in another, and I sprayed the Duplicolor Spray Lining in my Jimmy myself. I can sure tell you, the duplicolor is the worst. No comparison to the pro jobs. Duplicolor and I think herculiner are paint based formulas which "dry by evaporating the solvent", compared to the polyurethane epoxy pro-jobs which "set" via a chemical reaction. The Linex and Rhino are equally durable, but the Rhino feels better because it is thicker and absorbs sound better. Look for an experienced person to apply it. It's all in the workmanship. JT

10. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

The Rhino shop in San Luis Obispo, CA quoted me $550 if I gutted everything. Kind of expensive but all the people I talk to who have gone with Rhino love the stuff. It seems to be a little softer but just as durable as line X. I plan on using Rhino when I get to that stage of my project.
    Jeff

11. Larry

Larry 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

A windy corner of a dirty street: Pueblo West, CO
    I had the bed and rockers sprayed with Rhino Liner on my K10 when I lived in Michigan. The rockers cost $400 and the bed was $400.

The Ziebart dealer made a complete mess out of the truck on their first attempt at the rocker panels and refusing to redo it. It looked like they used a mop to apply the matterial. After complaining to Ziebart Inc. and Rhino Lining, Inc long enough they finally made it right for me. I am satisfied with their second attempt.

Take a look:
    http://communities.msn.com/LarrysGMTruckToyBox/homepage [​IMG]

12. jeffer

jeffer 1/2 ton status

I will give my opinion not that anyone cares. I have been researching the same thing (having the entire tub lined) My mom had her 2000 Silverado Rhino Lined. I think her short bed was ~$400. It's a nice finish, the shop did a great job. The one drawback that I see to the Rhino Liner is that the material is fairly soft. When sliding anything especially metal with sharp edges into the bed they tend to catch and gouge. Not good where I'm at in Colorado where summer temps regularly exceed 90 and where we supposedly have 300+ sunny days a year.
    I have had two friends recently have their truck beds lined by a company called Signature (It's based here in Longmont, CO.) This is another hot high pressure application 100% Polyurea. I believe it was ~$350 for a compact truck bed. The stuff is very hard. No fear of gouging this stuff even when hot. I was worried about it being slick especially when shoes are wet from snow or rain. Not a problem either. The stuff has a lot of grip just due to the texture of the finish. This place did a sweet job of finishing the edges even when sprayed up and over the bed rails. I believe that they both feature UV protection and neither one seems to get too hot in direct sunlight.
    Don't take just my opinion. Petersen's 4-wheel & Offroad did an article a couple of months back. They tested them for hardness and brittleness. They agreed that the Signature liner was hardest. They tried to gouge it with a screwdriver and hammer and it just glanced off. While when they tried that on the Rhino liner, it took off a big chunk. I can try to scrounge up that article and scan it in if anyone is interested.

13. Steve_Chin

Of course we care, Jeffer! That was good information. I want to get a liner sprayed into my interior after I take care of all the rust, so I'm looking for just this kind of information. Now I just need to take care of the rust and find someone who does the Signature liner...

14. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info man..Ill have to check em out.I noticed the softness to the rhino myself but thought maybe it would hold up well.

Chris
    www.roostr84.coloradok5.com

15. jeffer

jeffer 1/2 ton status

Duh, I forgot to include the website. They include some comparison data there, but of course they are biased. Steve, unfortunately I don't see a "Dealer Locator" on the website. You could always give them a call. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.signaturelinings.com/index.html>http://www.signaturelinings.com/index.html</A>

16. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Thanks. I had also been woring about the softness of the Rhino and LineX liners. It sounds like this stuff is more like a real bed liner (the drop in kind). Tossing a D44 into my s-10 showed me how much a hard tough bed liner is worth.\

Do you think it will block the sound as well as the Rhino?

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

17. jeffer

jeffer 1/2 ton status

Just to clarify, this is total hand waving psuedo-science on my part. I have NOT seen any acoustic properties of any of these materials.
    I would guess that the Rhino Liner would have the best sound dampening properties as a softer material will be better at sound energy absorption. Hard surfaces are good at reflecting sound, no good for quieting things down. I also know that an uneven surface (hard or soft) will diffuse sound waves thus helping to dampen noise that you hear, so either will be good here. I think that the best sound dampener is still going to be carpeting. However, since we are talking about having the entire tub sprayed including the inside of the bed rails. The liner is going to make a seal 100 times better into all corners and crevices than any carpet or mat that you put down. This in itself, regardless of liner hardness should cut down considerably on road noise, squeaks, and rattles. Once again these are just my postulations from what I know about acoustics and material properties.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by jeffer on 05/17/01 11:44 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

18. Steve_Chin

I was going to put carpet over the liner when I get it put in, so I don't really care which liner absorbs more sound because any amount of sound deadening at all will a bonus over what my carpet and jute padding will do.

19. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Sound wasn't an issue for me either. I am putting in a preformed rubber mat from LMC. Plus with the op off i would think it would be noisy anyway.

Chris =)
    http:// www.roostr84.coloradok5.com

20. kiley

kiley Registered Member

I gotta tell you that mine is more quiet with the top off. The flowmasters really resonate with the top on. I have a rubber mat under carpet and it is still fairly loud. With top off the sound disperses (sp?).