Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rhino liner done, info for you all(kind of long)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudNurI, Jan 11, 2002.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Well guys the D/A went yesterday to get its blanket put in ! It was at the guys shop from 9:30- 4:00... here are the details for you guys thinking of getting it or weighing it against the do it yourself stuff

This is a 6 foot bed, and we went UNDER the rails
    $395.00 total cost..we went with black, though he could have sprayed in the same Pewter Metalic color as our truck. The reason we went with black is --- The color does NOT hold the UV protection like the black, according to him, the extra money for the UV is not worth it with colors- within 2-3 months, you will notice a big fade in the color.. with the black it takes about 12 months to start to fade. if and when we notice the fade with the black- we can bring the truck back to him, and he will "spray a skim coat" over it, and bring back the shine for another year. at no additional $$, (which is written on our work order/warranty).. if we had the color we would have to pay each time to get the skim coat, since he tells you right up front the UV wont stay good...
    We got 5/16th on our bed and 1/4 on the walls...this is his standard application...
    The only thing we had to do was keep our tailgate down for 24 hours, and "try not to put much in the bed" for those same 24 hours.

We had a few dents in the wheel well's, from johns dirtbike kick stand- and our lawn mower deck- they are gone, he just sprayed a little extra there.. our hooks in the front of the bed, are covered with 1/8 so we can still fit the rachet straps in. our drain holes are still drain holes, NO over spray on anything, perfectly straight lines at the end of the bed, and on the tailgate, the guy did some super work.
    I'm not sure if all Rhino guys are as good as this one, but he was very thorough...if any of you were at the 4X4 Jamboree in Burlington, VT this summer- and saw the Rhino guy- THATS HIM, he is in Concord, NH, its called Rhino of Concord... and I would definetly recommend him...BTW, I will be bringing down my two nerf bars, and brush guard this spring...and have them done.

Hope this info helps you make your decision whether its worth getting the herculiner on your HOOTAS or not! LOL!!!

--Brandy

LOVING the new Duramax!!!

2. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Do you happen to have any pics?? Is it REALLY 1/4" thick all the way around?? I've talked to several places and they say its UP TO 1/4" thick. Everyone around here are very EXPENSIVE and every shop I go to isnt anywhere near 1/4" thick[​IMG] Sounds like you got a great deal. Wish there was a shop around here like that....

3. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

i agree, no rhino dealers around here but the line-x guy told me that he won't even do my blazer! what's up with that. he said to use the herculiner. basically he didn't want to bother with spraying a blazer b/c it takes longer than spraying a bed, but did he not realize that the longer it takes the more money i would have to pay. i even told him i would have all the seats out and every thing. i am going to find myself another store to deal with. rediculous.

If it can't be broken then I haven't had it.
    '74K5 NP203/sm465 4"Lift 35"BFGs 350ci

4. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

no pics and I didnt get out a ruler but sure looks 1/4 all the way ---

the guy said he would do my blazer- course would cost me some bigger bucks, but his quote of "about 750" seemed not to bad to me considering its a bit bigger than a 6foot bed, i'm not going to have it done, for really no reason,,, but he cud've done it...

--Brandy

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

anyone prices how much it would cost to just get the lower half of the body on a blazer done? I'm thinking of, after major fender trimming, getting the bottom Line-Xed...perhaps everything below the ridge that runs below the door handle. I know some places will knock off some $$$$ if you do most of the prep work.

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

6. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://www.ultimatelinings.com/consumer/main.htm?page_id=1>http://www.ultimatelinings.com/consumer/main.htm?page_id=1</a>

They are said to be better than Rhino and Line-X. Ultimate is what is sprayed in all of the city and county trucks where I live, so I figure it has to be good stuff. I am getting it in my Blazer as we speak. I also got a better price from the guy than Rhino. Line-X was going to give me a better price only cause I know him, but I would have to take it 3 hours from me. Plus I have my car trailer COMPLETELY Line-x'd and I'm not that impress with it, REAL thin and slippery.
    And the Ultimate Linings shop is doing it in gray to match the rest of my interior for no extra charge. He said it doesnt fade either. I'll let you know how I like it when I get it back....

7. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Actually every place that I checked demanded that the interior be taken out before I brought it in, and said there was nothing I could do as far as prepping it to lower the price.
    Most of the cost is the prep and masking, thats why beds are so cheap. Mask four straight sides and your done. With a tub its all curvy and takes alot more time to mask...

8. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

You seem to have a lot of comments on line-X however don't seem to on Rhino- but your wililng to say this ultimate lining is better,, I wonder how you can come to this conclusion? I can not say Rhino is better than any others, the purpose of this post was to HELP other's make there decision,, explaining what I got, and what it cost me etc.
    Each Rhino place is independently owned and operated, I think I may have gotten the best Rhino guy ?

9. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

It doesn't seem to me anyone came to a "conclusion". 90blzr was just pointing out the hype for a different brand.....when he gets it back then he'll have a true opinion. He apparently has experience with Line-X and isn't very impressed. I don't think anything negative to your choice was intended....just more info being provided....lighten up......[​IMG]

Michael[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</a>

10. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Thanks Michael. You are correct I wasnt knocking her for choosing the Rhino, I infact said what a great deal I thought she got. Now...

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

the purpose of this post was to HELP other's make there decision

<hr></blockquote>

BINGO[​IMG] '74k5inVA' mentioned that they would not touch his Blazer. I was simply giving him another option. Letting him know there are othere companies that do the same thing as Line-X and Rhino. Is that a bad thing? Just wanted to let him know that I chose it, and was happy with what I've seen so far and was told by the company.
    You chose Rhino. Good for you, and like I said in my previous post, it sounds like you got a SMOKIN' deal!! If I could get someone around here to guarantee 1/4" thick, I would have seriously considered it, but know one will. Everyone says UP TO 1/4", that leaves ALOT open.
    Again, I never intened to make it sound like I was putting you down for choosing Rhino. Thats the deal you found so you chose it. The deal I found and was impressed with was at Ultimate. I had never even heard of it before, then one day I saw a 'tag' in the back of a city truck that had been lined. I got out, got the number and checked out there website, and thats what I ended up going with. Turns out they have been hear in my city for about 10 years, they just do mostly commercial vehicles and dont advertise alot. If I hadnt found them, I honestly dont know what I would have done, not to impressed with the Line-X and Rhino was about $150 more than what I paid for the Ultimate.
    Again, sorry if I offended you by putting out an opinon of another product besides the one you chose.....

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 90blzr on 01/12/02 09:38 AM.</FONT></P>

11. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

Heres my take on the spray in liners: I had my last two new trucks bedlined, the first one was Rhino and it cost $400. for an 8ft bed. I liked the Rhino and it was really thick and would take a beating without even a scar but the black color was dull and not real pretty or anything.

I had the latest truck done with a company called Reflex and it was the same money for the 8ft bed and it looks very nice and the black color has some what of a shine to it and they did a nice job but it wont take no where near the beating the Rhino would. The trucks got 3,800 miles on it and I have already gouged the liner to the metal in one spot and dented the inside of the bed in another.

So in my opinion if you want to really use your truck bed for what it was intended for I would go with Rhino again and if I was concerned with the looks of it and light duty use like in a Blazer tub I would consider some of the many companys that are popping up.

RGF