Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rhino liner questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudNurI, Dec 21, 2001.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

John's new truck is going to the Rhino guy January 10th to have his bed rhino'd... $375.00 life time guarantee- etc... anyhow, my purpose of this post is-- I'm thinking of having my tube steps done, when we are over there- its about a 2 1/2 hour drive- so I only want to do it ONCE! Anyone ever thought of doing this or actually done it? I think the stuff looks pretty cool- the other option I have is to have it powder coated, which I like the looks of too. The only thing is that around here, your limited on WHO can do the powder coating, and I don't really want just some guy, who just got the stuff- to experiment on my truck. Remember the truck doesnt do any off-roading- BUT the steps will be actually USED to get into and out of the thing- especially with the kids, and I want to make sure what ever I do lasts.. my tubes are going to cost me $60.00 total- to have done- I haven't priced powder coating so I have no idea how that compares??? any idea's etc.. are appreciated. Thanks!

--Brandy

LOVING the new Duramax!!!

2. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

I did my factory rear bumper in Rhino. I had the whole thing covered and it cost $75. It looked great to start but because it was exposed to sun the entire day it faded fast. 4 months later and the original shine of the Rhino Linning is now a very Dull black. It is still functional but very dull. I can send pics of needed. So...beware, the Rhino will fade.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html>http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html</a>
    So I says to him, I said, "get your own monkey."
    1986 K5, 350 GM Crate, 700R4, NP208

3. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Look at other spray on liners and ask them if they have U.V. protection in the liner they spray, Rhino Liner does not that is why it chalks out, better yet go to their web sites and look it up yourself, some of those guys will tell anything to get your money

4. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

On a Jeep I used to have, I did inside the tub, front and rear bumpers and nerf bars. I really liked it a lot. And it stopped all that pinging noise from rocks hitting the nerfs and bumpers. I did mine in a gray for the tub and black for the bumpers. Mine did not fade much at all. Lost a little shine, but was always nice and black. Armor all brought the shine back some, but I only did that once after winter.

If I did it again, I would use a do it yourself liner. In fact, I did,for my Suburban. I am going to put it on tonight.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 44 TSLs
    454 BBC, 350 trans, 205 transfer
    Rust free in Michigan!

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

The only problem with doing it myself, is that herculiner stuff at wally world is like 99 bucks- for the gallon- 60 bucks for both steps seems like an okay price to me, since I wont have to deal with the stuff- and if it comes off/chips etc.. they have to fix it not me... I read the horror stories of people getting it stuck on there "umm should we say member's" and I dont' want it stuck on my hands, let alone "member"...LOL thanks guys!

Brandy

6. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

On their member? Did I miss the joke somewhere?

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 44 TSLs
    454 BBC, 350 trans, 205 transfer
    Rust free in Michigan!

7. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

yeah you missed it--- they had to go to the bathroom- in the middle of doing the herculiner stuff on their floor's.... ill try to find it and post a clicky

Brandy

8. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Okay it wasn't someone HERE that got it on there hootas--- but here's the link grimmy put up for it, I dont' have a clue how to make it clicky-- but here it is

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=18595

don't laugh too hard- he did edit his original post, and its less descriptive than it was originally- but the entire thread is there- LOL

Brandy

9. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Just FYI regarding the UAV protection on Rhino- they DO have it available, however if you don't ask for it , you won't get it- we are getting it, we went to the website-checked it out again- john called the guy back, and we can have it, so it shouldnt fade---even if it does- its the inside of the bed- is it that big of a deal? I can see on your bumper's etc.. but who cares bout the inside of my bed- LOL anyhow thanks for your replies!!

--Brandy

10. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=18595>www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=18595</a>

<font color=red>"SETTING OFF ALARMS IN A CITY NEAR YOU!"</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BigTex-Mean-Machine>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BigTex-Mean-Machine</a>

11. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    <font color=green>Rhino's expensive, </font color=green><font color=red>AND, it fades</font color=red>, at least in the Colorado sun <font color=orange>(up here in the clouds, closer to God that is, hehe)</font color=orange>[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG].
    <font color=blue>
    I ended up using Herculiner, as it is MUCH cheaper, and it can be touched up from time to time.
    </font color=blue><font color=green>
    I have seen guys do their entire truck in Herculiner and they look tough, mean, politically incorrect, and just right.
    </font color=green>
    [​IMG][​IMG]

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think that I do.............</font color=blue>[​IMG]