Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rhino Lining EXTERIOR?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by klier, Jul 25, 2000.

1. klier

klier Registered Member

Just a quick query to see if:

1) Anyone has used Rhino Lining on their vehicle at ALL. What are your thoughts and feelings? What color did you get? Have you had any fading with a color besides black?

2) Has anyone Rhino Lined the EXTERIOR of their truck? I was thinking about doing this for a unique look, but undoubtedly would be pretty expensive. Trying to think if it would help with rust prevention or not, because I think most rust starts from the inside out.

Thanks a lot!

Brian Klier
    '86 Chevy Blazer Hybrid - http://kliernetwork.net/truckproject
    Faribault, Minnesota

2. KingSmoth

KingSmoth Registered Member

There is a JROTC drill sargeant at my alma mater with Rhino Lining on the fender flares, along the sides, plus Rhino Lining on his brush guard and bumpers. The thing looks so awesome, doesn't have any fading or anything.

3. Casey 86K5

Casey 86K5 1/2 ton status

I know a guy who Rhino Lined the exterior of his jeep, and even for a heep it looked tough! He did spend quite a bit on it but it looked good.

4. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

I was thinking it would look pretty creepy to get the glow in the dark stuff on the exterior. Granted it would probably look pretty hoaky during the day

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

5. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Yes, iI have seen many rigs done this way. Diaomond Offroad in gGrapevine, Tx does polyurathane coatings aka "rhino liners" However they use a different system. To make a long story short, there are two types of spray in liners.
    A)low pressure cold feed-(rhino or husky liners are two examples) are two examples. They use a cold spray that has a cure time of many hours. That is why most, not all, most Rhino liners I have seen always look runny on the side of the bed.
    B)Heated high pressure spray-(SAI PROTECTIVE COATINGS or Line ex) use a heated spray (about 120 degrees when it comes out of the gun) When it is sprayed it can be touched within 20 or 30 secnds and can be walked on within minutes. This means a more accurate spray.
    If you really want to know the ins and outs of this talk to Scott at Diaomond Offroad (817)421-3029 aka SAI PROTECTIVE COATINGS . I have seen a couple of rigs completely coated at his shop and the end result is always top notch. They are going to be spraying the inside and part of the outside of my tub 2-morrow YAHOO!!!! I will let yal know how it looks as soon as I get the truck back.

89 w/DANA 60-Corp 14 w/5:13s n Detroit's. 4"lift 2" body. NEW AtlassII being installed

6. NightWolf

NightWolf Registered Member

My brother has a 84 3/4 ton. 6in lift and 35in tires. He used a bed liner on his whole truck (He also has a flatbed). The cab is yellow and the flatbed is black. The place he got it from has a lifetime gaurente (spelling) If it cracks chips fades or anything, its done again for free. It looks SWEET!!!

Wolf

This is your brain--Chevy-- This is your brain on drugs--Ford--

7. EODBRIAN

EODBRIAN Registered Member

i was debating bedlining the exterior a few months back. after coating the interior in durabak, i decided against doing the exterior. check this site out for some pics of guys that have done it.
    http://www.truckworld.com/cote-l/about.html

EODBRIAN

8. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Back when I had my Fullsize Pickup I was going to have this done. They said they would do the whole truck for $1,000. This isn't that bad considering the cost of paint job. The only catch was, I had to take off both bumpers, door handles and basically anything that wasn't going to get sprayed (except windows).

89 K5 Silverado

9. mike race

mike race 1/2 ton status

My next door neighbor just did his truck bed w/ duplicolor. It turned out good

fix'n finally

10. Larry

Larry 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

A windy corner of a dirty street: Pueblo West, CO
    I had the bottom of my K10 sprayed with Rhino Lining last summer at a Zeibart dealer and I can’t quit say that I am totally satisfied with the results. The problem isn’t with the Rhino material but more with the application. It looks like the dealer applied it with a fricken mop. The material just looks gobbed on and runny. Huge drips were even hanging from the bottom of the rockers when I picked it up. The dealer claims he could not get the texture to match the texture of what is usually in the bed because it is too difficult to spray on a against a vertical surface. Well, the inside walls of a pickup bed are vertical aren’t they!?! The Rhino Lining brochure even shows the side of a green Toyota with the rockers and flairs sprayed in the same texture as the bed. Last week, I returned to the dealer because the truck had been out of commission for several months for a tranny swap and paint job and I want to get this corrected. I offered to do the labor of removing the old lining if they would just spray it correctly and then I would pay to have the inside bed sprayed as well. Again, they said that is the best they would be able to do and would not redo it. So, I called Rhino Lining Inc. at 858-450-0441 and talked to a person named Lisa. She said the dealer should not have a problem applying the liner to a vertical or horizontal surface; only the air pressures would need to be adjusted. Of course, I am at the mercy of their dealer because all dealers are privately owned but in my case the dealer is a Zeibart store. Lisa said a Rep from Zeibart Inc. would call me with in two days. Guess what? 2 weeks have past and I haven’t heard from anybody! I also joined the Rhino Lining website discussion forum under the name unhappycamper and I plan to keep their moderators real busy real soon if I don’t get some satisfaction!! I understand Zeibart is a separate company than Rhino but if Rhino would like to maintain a reputable reputation it would be to their advantage to get involved! Everybody that sees my truck up close asks “what the hell is that gray stuff? – it looks like *$%#!”

Moral of the story: Better inspect some of the previous jobs the dealer has performed and don’t go to the Zeibart dealer in Royal Oak, Michigan!!!

[​IMG]

Push buttons are for radios NOT transfer-cases!!!

11. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

you sould have got it line-xed I got my rocker panls done and love them I ma going to get the inside done in the week or so.

[​IMG]Go prepared

I have a Shotgun a Rifle and a 4WD(K5) and Country Boy Can Survive!!!!

12. Larry

Well, I have been in somewhat contact with Rhino Linings. Take a look at their discussion board.

Go to "Application Questions" then scroll down or hit the "bottom" button and look for the post named "Rhino applied to side of truck".

http://chat.rhinolinings.com:8090/~rhinolinings/guests?hidden=

13. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Hey larry, checkn ou hat i said up to, that is why your Rhino looks runny, because it is. When you do something like that , in my opinion, you will get a much better result with a line-x or a Diamond liner. They are a heated spray and cure within seconds of being aplicated, so it really doesnt have a chance to run. Im having the tub and door jams sprayed in the morning, and will let all of you know the results, and get pics

89 w/DANA 60-Corp 14 w/5:13s n Detroit's. 4"lift 2" body. NEW AtlassII being installed

14. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

My parents had my Blazer undercoated at Ziebart when it was new, and then took it in once a year to either be touched up or have a new application for free. Oh yeah, I'm originally from a little South of Grand Rapids, Michigan. Always did us right, and that is the only reason my truck's undersides aren't all rusty now. However, in about 95 Ziebart got bought out, and the service went WAY DOWN! They only touched it up once, and then the last two years mom and dad owned it (97 & 98), they said it was fine and didn't need anything. That was total BS, because when I bought it, the undercoating on everything but the floorboards was starting to flake off. I don't know if they were just lazy or cheap, but that is total disrespect to your customers. Luckily I live in SoCal now, so it isn't a big issue. Unless you personnally know the guys at Ziebart, and trust them and their work, I'd say skip them and find a better place. Hope this helps somebody avoid that mess.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's

15. zimboy

zimboy Newbie

The information you are giving about Rhino is very innacurate. Rhino is a low pressure system but the product still is applied with considerable heat and sets up in 10 seconds. It is 100% cured overnight but all polyurethanes require about 24 hours to be totally cured. Drips are the result of poor application and has nothing to do with the Tuff Stuff material being used by Rhino.

16. zimboy

zimboy Newbie

Duplicolor is nothing more than a polyurethane coating and is not a lining. It also costs about $99 per gallon. A rhino application is about 6 gallons and with professional installation it costs around $375. Thats about $60 a gallon including installation. Duplicolor and Herculiner are both ridiculously expensive.

17. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Zimboy,
    Duplicolor around here is $50 a gallon and that comes with the kit including the roller and all that stuff. I agree, Herculiner is expensive, so is Durabak. But Rhino is also expensive. Where did you find them for $375 including labor??? Man, around here it is atleast double that and then some and we still have to do most of the prep work. So I opted for Durabak. I agree Rhino is much better and so is LineX, but not for 5 or 6 times the price.
    Boss

18. Larry

Well, after coming to a resolution with a Director from Rhino Linings my truck goes back to the Ziebart dealer tomorrow to have the current lining on the rocker panels ground off and reapplied. I should have the truck back Friday and I will post an update of the results.

19. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

I am not sure about the heat but i know a guy that owns a truck accessories shop and does rhino liners. Rhino lining dries with in 25 seconds to the touch and is 99% cured in 24 hours. I have seen his work and he has actually done the headliner of a blazer, it was the metal part and the entire top of the topper and did not drip or run. Maybe he is just good. He is going to do mine for $400 and with me doing all the prep work. This is pretty cheap for this kind of job. Later - Doug Krebs

Doug Krebs

20. Larry

Update:
    I picked up the truck today after having the bed Rhino Lined and the rockers redone. The results turned out 100 times better than the previous application. I am very satisfied with the finished product. I was confident that the product could be applied correctly with a little patience and creativity. I guess everybody came out a winner here, I got the exactly what I had originally ask for from the beginning (have the rockers redone correctly and pay to have the bed lined) and the Ziebart Dealer and Rhino Linings Inc. feel they went above and beyond to meet my expectations. I will post some pics when I get a chance.