Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rhino lining the passenger compartment

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jd70ssclone, Feb 14, 2007.

1. jd70ssclone

jd70ssclone 1/2 ton status

hey guys what do you think about rhino lining the floors of my blazer and doing away with the carpet good idea or bad
    josh

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

3. RockinChevy

RockinChevy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you want to line up your tub, just apply some Herculiner... easy DIY job with a roller and a paint brush. It's up to you if you want to do away your carpet, depends on what you plan to do, etc mud or rocks.

I have some crappy stuff called "Hippo something" (can't remember the whole name), which is grayish in color but can be mixed with any color to match your interior. I applied that on then put the carpet back in (I don't do mud, AZ is too damn dry) for sound deadening.

Now a year later, this stuff is chipping and cracking.. I'm considering going with Herculiner and ditch the carpet, I don't really notice any difference with sound deadening with the carpet in or out.

4. jimmy1984

jimmy1984 1/2 ton status

If you go with Hurculiner its about $100 a gallon but it comes in a kit with a roller and some other stuff and i think its advertised as being able to cover a 6' truck bed with two coats. Thats all i know about it I think im probably gonna make the switch over to the Hurculiner my carpet is starting to smell.

5. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

Hurculiner is NUMBER ONE GOOD PRODUCT! Don't get it on your hands though or you will have to wear it and endure the comments of your co-workers for 2 weeks. Do a search and you will find that there are several people on here have switched over. It took me about 1 1/2 gallons to do the inside of my Jimmy. I also did over the bed rails a little bit. Be sure to scuff really good, buy sand paper don't use the scotch bright that they give you in the kit. I swear that thing is for washing your hands when your done :D . And do a good solvent wipe down. I also bought different rollers and brushes. Oh yeah, xylene is the only thing that will get it off of your hands (it's in the directions, found that out after the fact :doah:)

6. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I used the 3M (cheap :deal:) stuff on the interior of my K5. I spent lots of time on prep work and it chips pretty easy. I think I spent less than $50 for the whole deal though.

I don't regret it, I lost ~100 lbs. (guessing) in carpet and heat/sound shielding plus I don't have to worry about messing up the carpet with the weather or anything else.

7. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

yeah, with extra brushes and stuff it cost me about $180 or so, but it is still as strong as when I put it on 1 1/2 years ago! Even after having tool boxes and tools thrown and slid all over it.

8. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

I did the rear on my Blazer with POR-15 and then hit it up with some self etching primer, followed by 2 THICK coats of the Herculiner. So far its held up pretty good, I havent been too rough on it yet, but I have dropped some wood in it pretty hard and it still looks great. I used about 2/3rds of a gallon on the rear alone. Will do the front when I get my new floorpans installed.

9. wforicv

wforicv 1/2 ton status

I used some stuff I bought at Walmart (can't remember the name). It may have been Herculiner, but it wasn't too expensive. I just did the back. The biggest pain in the butt was removing all the glue left from the carpet. I scuffed the paint very well and wiped it down very clean with alcohol. Rolled it on. That stuff has lasted two years and has never chipped or even faded. I have abused the crap out of it. Hauling fire wood, tool boxes, spares, whatever. You may have to get creative with you wires if you do the cab.

10. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

I was planning on doing the front with Herculiner and just buying a new vinyl mat so I could hide and protect my wiring, but then saw someone on here just used a piece of conduit to run the wires through to the rear. Good idea that I will use and will save me money from having to buy the mat. I love this site.

11. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

www.projecttorque.4x4mecca.com there is a picture or 2 there of me doing mine. It's nice and rugged. I wouldn't do it for a DD but for a mostly offroad vehicle I would.

12. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

13. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i used the cheap spray-on walmart bedliner for the rear, the rollbar and tailgate of my k5. it's held up suprisingly well for over 3 years, now. the front is just 96cent/can walmart rattlecan. used 2 full cans for the entire front floorpan. since then, i've used about 1/4 can for touchups where i keep the toolbox, just behind the passenger seat.

i've heard of people using that rubbery garage floor paint for bedliner, and also using it on the rocker panels. i'm tempted. it's way cheaper than bedliner and supposedly stays more pliable.

as far as removing the glue, carb cleaner does wonders. it will also strip the paint, in there, if you're trying to go bare floor for prep, like i did.

14. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

i had it [Rhinolining]in my passenger compartment and actually even the inside of the roof before I cut it off. It was cool, kind of expensive (around $450 for the tub floor, sides and inside of the steel cab. If I had to do it over ( and I will on my 1970 c-10, m-105 trailer and my f 350 crewcab tub) I would choose LINE-X. The Rhinolining is kind of cottage cheese textured and LINE-X is smooth. It does make a difference in sounddeadening and you could even put rubber mat or carpet back over it.

As far as Herculiner goes:
    I had my whole truck exterior coated in Durabak (the same thing only available in colors) and Herculiner. Eventually as my blazer lost more and more bodypanels and sheetmetal I removed [what a PITA] the rhinolining. I coated the floor pan in Herculiner. The stuff sucks for anything that isn't to be used as a grip tape surface. I have scratched myself just by being barefooted in my blazer and it offers nothing for sound deadening or heat blocking. I seriously would tear myself up just sliding off the hood or against the bedside.

My opinion:
    LINE-X if you want something that looks great, performs, and will last.
    Herculiner: if you want a non-skid deck surface that will chew bare feet up is messy to apply and is basically a paint with texture.:doah:

15. Kp

Kp 1/2 ton status

My buddy used rubberized roof coating on the tub of his YJ. He had the dealer tint it beige to match the interior.
    He applied it with a textured roller, and it really does not look bad. Not only that, it is really durable. Its been on there for at least 5 years, and hasn't peeled. He put it on really thick, and has had to touch up a few spots, but it sticks to itself really well, and the touch-ups are unnoticable. You can build thickness with it as much as you want, and it is CHEAP. I think it runs about 50 bucks for 5 gallons around here.
    Maybe not the best for a really pretty rig, but for a wheeler its a good choice. I plan on doing the trail-only trooper that I am "working" on.