Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rhino Linings vs. Line-X

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Big Sean E, May 29, 2003.

1. Big Sean E

Big Sean E Registered Member

I'm about to coat the tub, and a buddy mentioned that Line-X bed liner is better than Rhino Liner for inner/outer tub protection. Can anyone shed any light as to which one's better?

2. J.Lance

J.Lance 1/2 ton status

While I can't say through personal experience, I haven't met anyone who likes Rhino better than Line-X. Also, I've heard if you color match the Rhino it will fade and get ugly pretty quick. Through testimonials I've heard, I'm definitely going with line-x. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. jeffer

jeffer 1/2 ton status

I will add my opinion for what it's worth. In Colorado with a full convertible, I'd definitely go with Line-x. The sun is brutal out here, the Rhino is much softer to begin with and add 90+ degree temp and wicked UV and you'd have a bubble gum texture (there was a 4wheel & offroad article a year or so ago that showed this.) You wouldn't be able to slide anything around in the bed without tearing it up. My mom lives in Indiana and has the Rhino line in her truck. It works out well because while the summer is warm, the winters are good and cold, Line-x would be too hard and even with texturing stuff would slide around way too much. She also has a tonneau so that helps.
    I have several friends out here with Line-x and a very similar product Signature (now out of business) and they work well with the high temp/sun exposure. It's a little slick in the winter, but you have to ask yourself how cold and how much snow/slush you'll be dealing with under your feet. My guess is that Boston has a bit different sun/cold/snow consideration.

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i have done my research BIG time on this.
    i am going to do mine in Line-X.
    cons on both. X being line -X and r being rhino
    x not as slip resistant compaired to r
    r fades a lot faster than x BUT both fade over time
    r take a bit longer to SET up, not dry but set up.
    x CAN be used imediatly after being applied. r HS to have 2 days to dry both SHOULD get about 3 days though.
    x can be sprayed as thick as you want, and the texture remains the same. r is best in its normal thickness of about 5/16ths of an inch. if any thicker then the texture looks like soup.
    both are life time nationwide gar. but it is easier and faster to repair x.

i had my x-members done in X already and i had to remove a bit so the areas seated metal to metal. IT WAS A B!TCH!!
    i had a small flange done in r to see how easy it was to remove. it was a lot easier than x to remove but still a bit of a pain. both were 1/4 inch steel.

i prefer line-x. it also cost less out here.
    Grant

5. 72beater

72beater 1/2 ton status

I'm a cheap man, so let me recommend my cheapo alternative. Get some do it yourself spray liner from pep boys or similar, it's usually about 50 bucks/gallon. Then spray it in yourself. If when it fades, shoot a topcoat over it. If it tears, touch it up with a spray can. It's CHEAP and looks fairly good. Just my 0.02 bucks worth.

6. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

Grant, you're gonna have to set me up with that line-x connection. i got my 71 painted, next step is <font color="blue"> line-x </font> it, no questions asked. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

ARQ.

7. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I have a coating in the bed of my 94 pickup that I'd like to get in the Blazer tub eventually. It's called ArmorThane. It's thick, OK in the sun and in almost 9 years the color has only faded a bit. It's got a uneven texture, but not sandpapery, and seems to resist heat great. It was installed when the truck was new in Canada, so I don't know if it's available in the U.S., but it's something to look into.

8. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Uh .. I'm a dumbass. A couple seconds searching the net and I found the USA headquarters is in Springfield. Duh! Look into it. www.armorthane.com

9. Big Sean E

Big Sean E Registered Member

Thanks everyone for your input! I don't need anti-slip protection as much as I need durability, so I'm going to find a Line-x dealer. Much appreciation!

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Also the Line-X comes outta the gun HOT, so it basically dries on contact, whereas rhino comes out cold and can run/drip if sprayed on vertical surfaces or upside-down.

11. ChrisM72beast

ChrisM72beast 1/2 ton status

What kind of price did you get with that?

12. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

It was installed by the dealership, so I have no idea what the cost to do a Blazer tub would be - you'd probably have to speak with the individual shops as it would also probably vary with the amount of prep work they would need to do.

What I like about it is it's thick, wears well (mine is still dark blue) and though it's textured, it isn't rough. Probably not as skid resistand as some, but since I occassionally sleep in the back of mine, I don't want to roll over onto sandpaper.

13. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I can't really argue the Line-X vs Rhino Lining issue since there are no dealers in the area, but I am in disagreement with some of the facts stated about Rhino Lining.

Jeffer, I don't know where you got your info, but I live in TX and was brought up in Denver, there is no comparison to the heat in Denver vs anywhere in TX. With respect to the Rhino, I have three work trucks that have had the beds sprayed with balck Rhino and are over three yrs old. It is tough as hell, I am in the contracting business and these trucks see daily job-site abuse. None of the trucks have rips, tears, etc., it does appear to be a little faded, but when washed and cleaned up it looks fine.

I have had the interior of my '90 Jimmy done. I had the bed rails, side walls, under the rails, everything done. As far as I am concerned it is one of the better mods I have done to the Jimmy, cleaning with a hose or a leaf blower, has it's advantages. The texture is a little smoother than you would find in the bed of a P/U.

[​IMG]

14. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The sun is brutal out here

[/ QUOTE ]
    HA! I'm with Derf on this one.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

I did my bed in Line-X after alot of research. The stuff looks great and works great. It is a little spendy. I think the shop I went to charged $400 for a regular truck bed and they did my 72 K5 for $600. I think they charged extra because I had mine shot in grey. They normally shot in black and had to special order the pigment and clean out their lines before they shot mine. I didnt think black would be too comfortable in the 100 degree weather here in Houston!

16. jeffer

jeffer 1/2 ton status

Well, my statements (not facts) are based on a couple of factors. One that I was able to take a serious gouge out of the Rhino Lining on a pickup bed (that also had a tonneau cover) by merely sliding a metal bed frame into the back. That seemed pretty weak to me.

When you look at the Rhino Liner side by side with one of the hot applied polyureas (line-x/signature) you can see that the Rhino comparatively has a softer almost spongy texture (and seems to get softer as temperature rises) vs the others which are very hard and also soften (and are much more slippery in my opinion even with texturing.) I'm not trying to say that one is better than the other. Just to each his own. Some might be better served in different applications. I haven't seen one that is the best of all worlds ultra grippy and ultra tough. Just my opinion.

If you don't believe me, I have also seen a couple of side by side comparison reviews. One was done by Peterson's 4Wheel and Offroad. They did all kinds of tests including setting them out in 100+ degree heat and beating on the liner. They showed the Rhino Liner (and other's) were sliced by a screwdriver after exposed to extreme heat. The hot application polyureas (like Line-x and Signature) withstood abuse when hot. I can scan you a copy of this if you'd like.

Can't (and don't want to) argue with your experience. That's great. Like I said to each his own.

17. druehlman

druehlman Registered Member

Just my 2 cents...

I think you all need to broaden this application a little. I like thi line-x product more than Rhino and Ive used both. Rhino chalks up fairly soon and I had problems with it ripping, but the product I think you should check out is Super Liner.

www.bedliner.com

Their broduct can be exactly color matched, it has the highest tensile strength on the market and it doesn't chalk up over time. Both of My buddies trucks a done 100% in Super liner with multiple colors and graphics. They get beat up on the trail all the time with no problems. Plus the have some really cool metallic finishes that don't fade even in Texas. I only did the interior of mine because I didn't want to mess up those beautiful 69 - 72 K5 lines.

Well there I'm done...but you should check out super-liner I've been totally impressed with their product.

Dave Jr /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

That article is hillarious! I love the part when they break out the shotguns to see which one was actually bulletproof... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

dreuhlman

do you have any pics of your friends trucks? i have only seen one truck completely done and i thought it looked good. i was just worried about the colors fading, bc my black did. i thought about doing this instead of repainting the truck next summer.

thanks

nathan

20. druehlman

druehlman Registered Member

Nathan,

I do have some pics, but I have no way to post them. Send me your email in a private message and I will email them to you. By the way Super-liner doesn't fade and it actualy hase a gloss finish.

Dave Jr