Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

RhinoLine DuraLiner or Herculiner the innards?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TopOff, Mar 11, 2002.

1. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Hi all!

I hate my carpet!

I want to pull it all out, including the rear side panels turn these into storage. I was thinking of some non-slip stuff. I found you can mix these with sand, but I would prefer to mix it with rubber bits.
    Anyone know which brand can do this and which is better?

TIA
    TopOff

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I used herculiner on mine. Pics on webshots link below. I have applied gallons of the stuff, so if you had any questions, lemme know,

J

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Is it slippery at all? What about when it is wet?

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I have my rear herculined and clearcoated over to prevent fading. Also just finished my half side panels that seal agaist the metal wall of the truck to be pretty air tight for my 6x9's and herculined those as well. It works well and I think it is a great product for a hundred bucks. Most of the other liners are a bit tougher and thicker, but way more money.

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

If you use herculiner, be careful not to get it on your hootus./forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

6. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Ok, I give up, what's a hootus?

7. jekbrown

herculiner is pretty grippy. If its wet/muddy it can get slippery, but then anything with enough mud/water on it is.

BTW, if you watch for sales at Napa etc you can get herc for $70-80 a gallon sometimes... its already a good deal at $99.99, but at $70 its a no brainer.

J

8. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I've been thinking of doing this for my rig. How many gallons would it take to get a 5mm thick coating? I have been kicking this idea around for awhile. I wouldn't mind checking out rig that has been done first though. I saw your pics, they look good, but I like to do the touchy feely thing before I put something permanent in.

9. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

The only thing I have to say about all this is, take into consideration as to how much extra weight you will be adding to the already "heavy metal mother". /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

10. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

This weekend my son and I stripped the interior of the Jimmy for and preped it for Rhino Lining. I like carpet, but after removing the carpet, pad and necessary tirm, the carpet and padding are just good for trapping moisture and creating rust. My rust free Jimmy wasn't ecactly rust free once everything was removed. We had the floors, side panes, and tailgate done. We got it back this afternoon and really like what it did for the Jimmy.

I will post some pisc in a couple of days.

11. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I don't think a gallon of Herculiner is all that heavy...

Especially with my carpet and rubber backing removed.

12. jekbrown

5mm? what is that in SAE units? I'm to drugged right now to figure it out. At any rate, Herc doesn't go on very thick. I put 2 coats on the entire tub, and then a 3rd coat on highly-used parts. There is prolly 2 gallons on my rig total, but then I have done a bunch of other stuff besides just the tub. At any rate, I put it on about 2 years ago now and haven't had a single problem with it. Even with plenty of use its never been damaged.

I can see what ya mean about wanting to be sure before you do something "permenent." That said, herc isn't really perenent... a good wire brush attachment for a drill and some elbow grease could get it off. It'd be a pain in the butt, but it would come off. At any rate, for those of us who'd rather spend the extra $$$$ that a professional spray on liner would cost on other things, herculiner is a good option... especially if you can find it on-sale. If you are rich and don't bat an eye at spending $600+ for a professional to do the whole tub, then charge on.

J

13. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

5mm is roughly 1/4". Hmmm, 2 gallons....I could do that. I guess if I didn't like it when it was done, I could always put carpet back in. I've heard that the finish is pretty rough, and if you have to crawl across it, you may get scuffed up a bit. Is that true?

Nope ain't gonna spend $600+ on it. I do it all myself.

14. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

In the new petersons offroad they were doing comparisons and they said that the spray-ins added about 60-65lbs. to a standard truck bed...

15. jekbrown

Herc is rough enough that it can scrape ya if you drag a knee across it. It took me about one scuffed knee to learn this, now I just work in/around my truck with that in mind and I havent been "wounded" since. I really like herculiner, and as you said, if you dont like the look for whatever reason, you could always run carpet or rubber mats or something over the top of it.

BTW, if you want herc to maintain its shiny-ness that it has when you first apply it, you MUST spray it with some kinda UV-pro clear top coat. If you dont, it will (like most bed liners) fade until its a SUPER flat black. I dont really care either way myself, but some people might prefer one reflectivity over another...

J

16. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. Nope, I don't care about shiny, just function.

17. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

There was a thread on another BBS with a story about this guy that wasn't using gloves when lining his rig with Herculiner. He had the product on his hands and then nature called and he managed to get some on his "Hootus". The wire cup on the electric drill removal method wasn't practical for this removal job. I would reccommend that you pay close attention to the instructions when installing Herculiner, especially where it says avoid contact with skin.

18. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Ouch...
    sometimes it pays to read the instructions.

19. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Damn! That musta left a mark! I gotta admit though, I am wondering who was dumb enough to touch his hootus with that stuff all over his hands?

20. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

.......well, he was a Ford Explorer owner........../forums/images/icons/wink.gif.............................................

Okay, nothing against Explorer owners, my hot neighbor lady owns one/forums/images/icons/smile.gif, but it was off some Ford Explorer Offroad forum./forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Everyone gets a big laugh out of that story./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Anyone who has used the Herculiner had a problem with it peeling? I know a couple of people on <a target="_blank" href=http://www.Off-Road.com/Chevy>www.Off-Road.com/Chevy</a> have used it on their pickup beds and had problems with it. Peeling up and leaving black skidmarks on anything dragged across it./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Both contacted Herculiner's maker about it and were offered a free kit that was supposed to fix it. Some sort of a UV protectant topcoat or something. Just thinking it would be a bi$ch to get black skidmarks on everything inside your truck./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif