Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rhoads Lifters....anyone have experience with them or running them?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by twenty_below0, Feb 16, 2003.

1. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

Going to change my heads and am wondering if a change of lifters to variable duration lifters would help me out . I am running a Crane PowerMax cam with the specs at .050" , 216 intake and 228 exhaust which is lacking on the lower end, a little big for the off line torque. So do you guys/gals think this will be a noticeable difference with the lifter change ? Compression for the cam is fine at 10:1 and it screams at about 2500 to 5500 but I would like a little more bottom end ( automatic with 1800 stall still doesn't help enough) these lifters sound promising ? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Years ago, I tried a set of these in a 351 F**D circle track car I raced. Made no difference in lap times but it did feel better in 1st gear on the startups. I don't think they're worth the expense.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I ran a set of those years ago and they were noisy as hell, I took them out and threw them away as fast as I could.

4. twenty_below0

YEAH there suppose to be noisy but if they work I dont care they cant be as noisy as my gear drive. LOL /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine used them once on a Ford 302. He had installed a Performer RPM cam and he had a hard time with the power brakes. It really helped him out. As far as low rpm gains, dunno-he really wasn't after that. Crane has some varible duration lifters that are not as noisy as the Rhoads but they don't bleed off as much duration as the Rhoads{from what I've heard}.

6. twenty_below0

THX for the reply I have heard they are good with the brakes but would like to hear someone say they felt an improvement with the bottom end. Maybe I'll get lucky and find someone on here with more experience. THX appreciate the info /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif