Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rice Burner o2 sensor "chip"

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Mar 23, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

http://cgi.ebay.com/20HP-O2SEN-PERF...048400874QQcategoryZ38786QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm just sharing this, it made me laugh a good bit... Whats funniest is they say it has to be installed in the rear most O2 sensor location(the post cat downstream one, emissions only O2). You know, the sensor that does nothing but monitor the function of the catylitic converter. There is nothing it could be doing to gain you power... People will buy anything.

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Good God, that's a horrible translation.

What a joke. Guess Hungary is gonna be the new Nigeria for on-line scams...

3. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

If you've got an OBDII car, the right kind of chip will mimic the constantly varying difference between the front and rear O2 sensors that isn't there any longer when you yank the cat and put in an "off-road" pipe. If the sensors return virtually the same values, then you get a fault code without a cat (or with a defective cat), but if you can mimic the difference that normally exists with the cat installed (and the difference varies depending upon what the engine is doing at that moment), the check engine light won't come on. That way, when the CE light does come on, it won't be because of the rear O2 sensor, and is worth checking for the code(s) that caused the CE light to shine.

But, no, it won't do a damn thing for power - except that it might let you run without a cat and without the usual CE light that would result from not having a cat, so it could indirectly smooth exhaust flow in that way. A lot of those "ez-chip" things do very little, or nothing at all.

In this state, we just yank the cats because we don't have to smog test:thumb: . You can ebay your cats to folks in CA, MA, and those type of states.

4. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

how bad does a cat really restrict air flow? specically the cat on my 96 SBlazer. Would it be worth it to ditch the cat and put in one of those chips?

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

when an O2 eliminator costs $40 from Summit, no, haha. Cats can be restrictive, personally I'm more of a fan of just using a h igh flow catylitic converter. MudFrog sells small Stainless ones in the Vendors section. I need to get in touch with him ab out a set for my 97.