Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ricer Headlights

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k20, Jan 22, 2006.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Got my new LMC catalog yesterday, and they finally have the diamond cut headlights for the 4 headlight trucks. After a little searching, I see they are made by LMC, and they use a 60/55 watt H4 bulb. I was wondering if anyone had used these, and if so, what the light output was like? Thanks

EDIT: Light output, and light dispersion. Ive heard of some headlights putting out alot more light, but not to the road, it was like a halo effect, lighting up the trees over the vehicle, but nothin else in front.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
  2. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

I dont know how the light output on the new lights are but all i know if you should get them because they are ricer and well they will go with your APC white face guages :)

3. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

i had em on my burban and they were ok. not much better then stock. also had some on my old 91 s10 and they sucked.

4. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you want a GOOD headlight -- Then forget the diamond cut / clear lensed stuff.

Go and find the European style H4 conversion lenses. They look just like a sealed beam headlight, except there will be a little E with a circle around it printed on the front of the bulb.

Both Hella and Bosch make excellent quality conversion kits, and as always, you can upgrade the 50 / 60 watt bulbs that come with them to something a bit brighter.

Locally, the Bosch kits cost about 95 bucks canadian after taxes, with the hella kits being about 120 cnd after taxes.

Those sealed beam style lenses with the european type light dispersion make a phenominal difference! Also, while you are at it, make sure that you do the headlight relay upgrade. That also can double your light output depending on how much resistance your current headlight switch is causing.

You can find more details on the relay upgrade at www.73-87.com :)

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yeh, I keep hearing about all the H4 kits, but I cant find any for sale. Im wondering if its the canada/US deal. Y'all can get em but we cant. On hella's site though, they list lenses for the round and the single square headlight trucks, but not the 4 headlight trucks. Anyone got a link to either the bosch or the hella kit, where I can buy it? Thanks guys.

6. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Anyone got any info on the Bosch or Hella kits? I can`t seem to find anything....

I`m looking to do this soon, but wondered if I should just get the LMC ones, and their harness, or if there was something better out there.....

7. Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The one's you want to get are the European E-code lights. These aim the light beam down the road and to the sides - unlike the DOT pattern that kinda disperses the light everywhere. I'm running out the door now, but do some searching and you can find what I'm talking about. Believe me, the E-code lights are better than the US/CANADA light pattern. Search Daniel Stern lights and he has E-code stuff. I think the Cibie stuff is alittle more expensive than Hella (or vice versa?). E-code buddy, that's what you want.

8. NEK5

Is that what Hella is?

9. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

10. Ned Kelly

Hella and Cibie come in both North American code and European E-code. Make sure you get the E-code lights with what ever choice you make - much better lighting. Some links:
    http://www.cibieusa.com/cibie_main_frameset.htm
    http://www.danielsternlighting.com/
    http://www.rallylights.com/hella/H4.asp#HYPER

I think VW cars now come into North America with E-code type lighting, and same with some other import car brands. My wif's' 2001 VW Golf had the E-code style lights when she bought it new.

Remember to upgrade your factory wiring to make sure your new lights get all the juice they need to run at maximum brightness. Easy to do. Lots of info on the web how to do the wiring. I think Daniel Stern Lighting has a schematic.

11. HEAVY METAL

HEAVY METAL 1/2 ton status

got rice?

j/k...i have em... love em.. they r the bosch ones..

12. NEK5

got a link to the Bosch ones?

13. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

I bought the Hella ones from rallylights.com I love them so far. MUCH brighter than stock. Just be warned: when/if you buy the Xenon bulbs, the bulb is purple. It lights up white, but you have a purple bulb and idiot friends like to make fun of it.:rolleyes:

14. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yeh I bought the hella h4 kit from rallylights.com too, also did the relay upgrade at the same time, results are unbelievable, and Ive just got the stock wattage bulbs (Ill upgrade when one burns out) and its amazing.

15. NEK5

whats the part number from rallylights, any idea?

also, can you use the harness that LMC has for the H4s?

16. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yeh I used the LMC harness, I had already bought it, and my parents got me the Hella upgrade for my b-day last yr, so I just combined em. I hadta change the high beam plug, and the low beam side comes with an adapter pigtal.

Ill look up the p/n in a minute.

17. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Alright if you have the older 4 headlight setup like mine, with the over/under, the p/n is H65451 and its listed under 165mm. If you have the side by side setup like in the 89-91's, I think it is HL21004 and its listed under 150mm. However, I would be sure to ask them, as those cost a fair bit more than the kit for mine.

18. Ned Kelly

K20 and Col. Sanders,

Did you guys get the E-code lights?

19. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yep, pattern is alot better than anything DOT approved, from what I have read the only reason they arent DOT approved is b/c they dont have those raised 'dots' for aiming machines.

20. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

Yeah, be sure you get the right size. For the people with the dual headlights, I believe it is the 165mm version and the single headlight is 185mm. Rallylights has very fast shipping and a lot of different choices.