Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rich carb??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbartman, Jun 18, 2001.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I have an OEM quadrajet on my 1985 305. After running for a while at highway speeds and then stopping like at a light, it sometimes dies. And, when you get out, you damn near get knocked out by the smell of gas. Is this "running rich"? Can the carb be adjusted or should I just rebuild it? It's got 135,000 miles on it.

85 GMC Jimmy, 305 w/TH700-NP208, 32X11.5 BFG ATs, 15x10 Eagles, Smittybuilt tube nerf bars and bumbers

2. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

With that many miles I would have it rebuilt just to give you better performance. Most q-jets can be adjusted, I don't remember the years but because of the gas crisis awhile back they made some models non-adjustable. If you look at it from the front of your vehicle on the right hand side down by where it mounts to the intake there should be an adjustable screw.

Good luck!

Rich

Go heavy or Go home[​IMG]

3. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I think q-jets are self adjusting for the most part. It might need to be rebuilt. You might try running some berrimans thru the gas tank to clean it out, but chances are you'll need to rebuild it. You can also get a good q-jet from edelbrock too. Brand new! But when you smell gas like that, then it's prolly running rich. Also, give it a little gas while in park and see if black smoke comes out the pipes. If you floor it, then black smoke will prolly come out even if the carb is running right, but just enough gas to simulate normal throttle. Check to see that you don't have any vacum leaks or gas leaks anywhere too.

<font color=purple>Have you hugged your K5 today?</font color=purple>