Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rich q-jet

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Kyle Strong, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Kyle Strong

Kyle Strong 1/2 ton status

I looked briefly on here but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, and am in a bit of a hurry. My non computer controlled qjet is running really, really rich. Where's the adjustment screw and which way do I turn it to lean it out? Left? I'm a little confused as to why it's rich, since I pulled it off my old 305 that ran fine and immediately put it on my 350, and now it will hardly move when in gear. It revs okay when in park, but it is dead under load. I know the timing's a little off...but oh well. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Adjustment of IDLE mix is controlled through the two mix screws on the bottom front of the carb, they won't cure a rich or lean condition anywhere else though.

3. Kyle Strong

Is that all I can do without rejetting/etc.? And I tried to turn them, but they were stuborn. Is there a special tool? Sorry for the noob questions, but I'm new to qjets, especially with all the capped off emissions crap on it. Maybe I'll just buy a new one.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If it has the anti-tamper mix screws, you can make the tool to turn them by getting similar sized roud tubing, and crushing it just enough to bite. Otherwise, they should turn either direction easily, until they either fall out, or seat in the carb body.

By pulling it off you may have dislodged some junk inside and the primary needles are not seating, or even the secondaries. Sticking float, bad needle/seat, etc. $20 rebuild kit SHOULD solve your problem, because it likely just needs a cleaning inside.

5. Kyle Strong

yeah...Cause I just drove it home from the muffler shop, and it was a little better, but still a dog! I might look into that rebuild though. Or I might get a new one, I know my current one has had a rough life...

6. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

You probably just got some dirt into the carb when you swapped it. Clean it out really well and/or rebuild it and that will probably fix your problem :D

7. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

x2 on the rebuild

8. Kyle Strong

Well I took it to a shop to have them look at it, and if they can't work their magic then I guess it's rebuild time!