Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rid the Rust

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazinjimmy, Apr 30, 2006.

1. blazinjimmy

blazinjimmy Registered Member

Looking for suggestions to rid a frame of rust build-up. Wire wheel and sandblasting are probably the best ways....how about products?..Have heard of some that will convert/eat the rust. Anybody know of any?:confused: ......Thanks.

2. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

P.O.R. 15 good stuff

3. blazinjimmy

RustbGone

Thanks for the info..can I pick it up at Crappy Tire...or?

4. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

5. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

rust bullet

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

sandblasting best...

Sandblasting is THE best way to remove ALL the rust,right down to the pores of the metal...regular sandpaper and wire brushes leave lots of rust behind in pits and craters in rusted metal...only sandblasting will get it all,and ensure lasting repairs..paint often bubbles and blows off in a few months to a year if the metal was only sanded or wire brushed..and if you grind it,its paper thin by the time those pits are removed,along with the rust trapped in them!..:doah:

There are lots of "Rust Converters" out there,like Duro/Permatex "Extend",Rustoleum's "Rust Reformer",and one I like that really works well is Morton's "Rust-Mort"...it turns rusted areas into a black primer you can paint over,and seems to repel new rust longer than the other brands..most of them are similar,all have phosphric acid in their ingredients..

I've found painting sheet metal patches on floors with aluminum paint,either brush or spray seems to repel new rust from forming longer than plain paint..and enamel,especially oil base,works much better than laquer or acrylic at resisting rust..many guys using bedliner now instead of paint..--needs a lot of thourogh prep work ,or it'll peel off in short order though,..:crazy:

7. blazinjimmy

Appreciate the info...I'm going to check on some products mentioned here.......thanks!.:laugh:

8. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

i used an angle grinder with one of the 60 grit sandpaper wheels on the bad sections of my frame, which was mostly around the rear. and the entire frame is gonna be done in por-15 seems like pretty good stuff.