Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ride Height

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stephen, Mar 7, 2001.

1. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Here's one for the archives and future reference.
    How tall is your suspension? Measure from the top of the axle tube to the steel bumpstop mounting plate on the front axle. Then include details on what axles you have since this makes a difference in the ride height, and what lift combination you have.
    I think this ride height number is going to be the best way to compare how tall our trucks really are. I'm ignoring the rear since it can vary more. And comes in as more personal preference. Do make sure it's sitting somewhat level when you measure, because it can affect the front end.

Mine sits at 15", D60 axle in front, my custom springs with our standard HD shackles. I consider this about a 5" suspension. probably about 6" with the D60 added in.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD

2. FWP

FWP CRS

Interesting...... Just for S&G, I went and measured my 2. The truck, on 4" springs (Rancho)- 3 years old measured 12" (10bolt). The K5, on 6" (Tuff Country) springs, brand new, measured 15" (D44). Does this mean my springs settled, or is 4" a nominal number. hmmmm..........

[​IMG]

3. FWP

FWP CRS

Forgot to add- the K5 has the heavy duty shackles. Thanks Stephen, keep the hits comin.......Where else can you get quality engineering other than ORD!

[​IMG]

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hey Stephen, just for reference (and curiosity) I went out and measured mine. I have an old 4" Rancho lift and a 3/4 ton Dana 44 up front. Mine measures in at 12 1/4" from the tube to the bracket. I'm sure the Rancho's have sagged a bit in the 7 or so years the lift has been on though. My numbers always seem lower than most for comparison heights. Does anyone have a dead stock K5 measured for a baseline comparison?

Rene

[​IMG]

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Well, I just measured my (supposedly) stock project K30 with a D60. I got 10" from the passenger side tube to the bump stop bracket.

[edited] Oh, I guess I should add, it was a CUCV with a 6.2 but now it has a 350 TBI

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by BadDog on 03/13/01 08:24 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

6. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    Stock '84 factory everything....sloppy nasty worn out springs... 7" I was thinking you should specify what engine you are running. SB, BB, Diesel all are variables. Big old winch bumpers are another

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Cavalry on 03/11/01 01:31 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

7. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

OK, 17 3/4" with 10" Superlift on my '88 crewcab dually with Dana 60 front axle. 20 1/2" with custom 12" National springs on my '77 Suburban with front Dana 60 and ORD HD shackles. 14.5" with 6" Superlift on my '90 Suburban with Dana 60 front axle.

ken

8. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Keep 'em rolling in, I think this could be a good reference database for everyone.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD

9. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

1990 K5 with Dana 60 measured 15.5". I have the 5.5" BDS springs and the HD ORD shackles.

[​IMG]

10. I just installed a used lift kit which I believe to be a 4". I get 12 1/8" to the bumpstop- I have a 3/4 ton 10 bolt.

78, 350/350/203, 3/4 ton, 4" lift, 35" BFGs
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://bluebeast.coloradok5.com/>http://bluebeast.coloradok5.com/</A>

11. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I went and measured my two.The '73 Blazer with 2.5" 5 leave rancho is at 10 3/4" and The wifes '79 Sub with 4" 5 leave Cepeck is at 12".I am disapointed at the low number on the Blazer.Guess I need to stop by and pick up some shackles and the 1" lift add a leave.Since it does sit rear high.Oh yeah the Blazer as a dana 44 and the Sub has a 10bolt.Brady

'73Beautiful Disaster <A target="_blank" HREF=http://beautifuldisaster.coloradok5.com>http://beautifuldisaster.coloradok5.com</A>

12. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

Mines at 12.5 with a4" and c10bolts with heavy duty shackles.

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s

13. rezalb

rezalb 1/2 ton status

Its 9:30 pm and I had to know....Another used 4" Rancho lift installed on a 3/4 ton 10 bolt, driver side12" and passenger12-1/4" (DOH)....Stephen, I just wondering why the measurement would not be front the top of the springs where the rubber stop hits, would'nt that be a more accurate measurement? I understand that rubber stops may vary.....well, I guess the measurement should be from bumper stop to top of spring mount, or where the rubber hits the spring? That is actual movement?

Thanks-
    rezalB

Built for a purpose.

14. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

He is just using this for comparision.If you used the bumpstop and the u-bolt plate the measurements would not be as easy to compare.This is due to different bumpstop IE aftermarket and due to the number of leaves in the spring pack.By using the axle tube and the bumpstop bracket this gives everyone the same exact points to measure from.Apples to apples and oranges to oranges.Brady

'73Beautiful Disaster <A target="_blank" HREF=http://beautifuldisaster.coloradok5.com>http://beautifuldisaster.coloradok5.com</A>

15. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

Mine measures in at 14"-unknown 4" springs, HD shackles, 3/4 ton D44, SB, Winch and bumper full of recovery equipment.

16. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

13"
    Dana 60 with 4" Rancho springs and ORD shackles

Steve - You could be more around the 6-1/2" - 7" range

Steve
    [​IMG]
    Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

17. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

13 ¼" with Corporate 10 bolt and 4" Superlift springs.

18. Innerpiece

Innerpiece 1/2 ton status

I have what i think is a fairly stock 87 silverado blazer ... and a question. The springs in the front seem to bend the wrong way i.e. the spring bend up from the frame attach to the axle attach. ( they look like a ^ from the side) ... frame attach points are closer to the ground than the axle attach points. I have about 6" of "ride height." Is this normal on blazers or ar the springs shot? The truck sits with the front end slightly lower than the rear (I think it looks cool as hell). Thanks

19. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

The factory springs have a negative arch. I don't have a stock vehicle to be able to tell you how much of a negative arch that the springs should have. From comparing your measument to the others, it sounds like your front springs are a little saggy though.

20. 80blazer

80blazer Registered Member

80 blazer 10 bolt 9in clearence on passenger side 8.5 on drivers side w/broken leaf. I guess it has factory heavy duty lift.