Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ride on a rollback tow truck

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazerbob, Apr 22, 2000.

1. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

Well driving down the 4 lane today with my 2 kids the K5 quit on me today.[​IMG] Found that the wires to the starter had hit the header and melted[​IMG] A cop showed up to see what was going on and called for a tow. 1 hour and $50 later we were back home. Lesson learned; Always make sure wires are secured away from headers when changing your starter.Does anyone have any tips for keeping the wires away from the headers? It has been raining all damn day and I refuse to lay in the mud to fix it now. Oh well maybe it will warm up tomorrow and I can spend my easter working on it if any part stores are open. My wife was pissed. I was taking the kids out for the day to give her time off. When we pulled in on the tow truck she came out yelling and kicked the door. She also gave the Blazer its new name today: Here comes trouble. HAPPY EASTER

<font color=blue>Blazerbob</font color=blue>[​IMG]

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Summit has heat shield sleeves and tape that is made for plug wires, but you can probably use it on starter wires too. Use a couple zip ties to loom the wires together, then zip tie the bundle to the solenoid. Should do the trick.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

3. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Next time you're in a salvage yard look at some trucks with the engines still in them. You should be able to find some factory clamps that go along the oil pan and assorted other useful little stuff. Man I can kill some serious time in a salvage yard. So much cool little stuff you can get to make your K5 mo bettar. Kinda like an Easter egg hunt. :)
    '73K5,SM465,NP205,33"BFG,4"TuffCountry,3.73:1diffs
    350.4bolt+mods,Warn8000#,Factory skidplates