Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ride quality after shackle flip?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Sep 4, 2002.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am interested in getting the shackle flip from Echobit and running it with 2.5" rears. What kind of ride quality difference did you notice after the swap? I'm looking for something that flexes better than the 8" rears, but will still give me half-decent road manners.

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Do you have 8" springs back there now?

When I did the shackle flip on my old 75', the ride improved a lot, but that was mainly b/c I had the old style stock rear leafsprings in the back. I swapped that out for stock leaf springs from an 89' K5, these had the teflon sliders and had a softer rate, so that's why my ride improved.

If you're doing the flip from a stock 90', then I don't think the ride will "improve", let alone change...
    Boss

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

8" springs all the way around right now. They are the roughest things I've ever ridden on, other than my dad's 3500 Duramax. That thing is a hoss. But I keep bending the spring pack center pin and it's a pain to replace that thing every 4 months. I had to pull my 4.56 geared axle out because the carrier bearings went out in it, the diff was scrubbing the cover, and a tooth was missing off the pinion gear. When I removed it, I checked the spring pads, and they were cupped in the center and the edges were bent down. Too much axlewrap I guess. I'm hoping that either getting rid of the springs, or relocating the spring pads will solve this problem, because the springs don't flex all that bad to be as arched as they are. I could almost tuck a 35" tire on a homebuilt ramp, but the shocks and the swaybar were limiting my flex. There's no telling how much flex I can get out of these.

4. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

That should be a great ride improvement over the 8" springs. Generally the more arch put into the springs, the stiffer and harsher the ride. I was really surprised how much stiffer my 3" front springs were from stock, of course I did poly bushings and all new front end stuff at the same time so that tightened everything up too. I drove a friend's big ford with 6" lift springs and it was way too stiff for me... fun in the mud though. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

If you can deal with the ride and can stuff a tire, heck keep what you have. I'm having axle wrap problems too with the ford 57's so I'm currently making a central pivoting ladder bar to control it. Perhaps this is something you should look into first and if it solves your problem then case closed. If you decide that the ride is too stiff then you can explore a softer setup and not have to worry about the increase in axle wrap from softer flexier springs.