Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ride quality (shocks, swaybar disconnects, etc.)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sparky, Oct 9, 2001.

1. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    I'm sortta on a mission to make my blazer ride better. When I say ride better I am referring to how soft the suspension is and how well it dampens the bumps. First off, my current suspension is 4in. tuff country ez ride springs fornt and rear. Currently I have some POS shocks. (monroe or something that I am borrowing from a friend since my old shocks from my 2in. lift arent long enough) I think the front shocks are actually rear shocks. What is the best way/ways to improve the ride of my current setup? What in your experiences has worked best.

1. What shocks should I get? When I put my 4in. lift on drove it around the block once or twice without shocks, and it was nice and soft, but bounced alot. As soon as I put the shocks on it got firm. What brand shocks should I get inorder to improve the ride and still keep out the boat feeling? What length shocks takeing into account sway bar disconnects? Give me some part #'s if ya got them.

2. Will swaybar disconnects help the ride quality? I know they help get rid of bumpsteer, but it also seems like it would allow the front springs to work like they are supposed to. Anyone have any first hand experience in the disconnects improving how hard the ride is.

3. What other somewhat inexpensive techniques have you used to help soften the ride up? For exampe... greasable bushings.

When I put on the 4in. lift I was kind of expecting a little bit more of an improvement from my old lift. I think it was a rancho with an add-a-leaf in front, some 2in. blocks in back, and some RS5000's. Seems to me like the current set up should ride considerably softer, epecialy in the front, than the old suspension, but it has not improved all that much. Then again maybe I am being overly optomistic.

Thanks for any advise

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

2. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Greasable bushings will definitely help, and the shocks can make or break a suspension. Definitely get rid of the mix-matched shock setup you have now, and invest in some quality shocks.

I have all poly greasable bushings (from ORD), EZ Ride 2" front springs, shackle flip in rear with '90 K5 springs, and RS9000s.
    I have the 9000s set on 3 for the rear, and one notch softer in the front. It rides much better than stock. I'd say it almost has a car quality ride ...........

I finally installed my ORD swaybar correction/disconnect kit a couple weeks ago, but I didn't really notice a handling difference on the street.

Try replacing the shocks 1st, and if you still are not satisfied, get some greasable bushings and see what you think.

Good luck,

Thomas.

-- '84 1-Ton Blazer --
    When the goin' gets tough,
    the tough go 1-Ton [​IMG]

3. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Sounds like a plan. I am deffinantly planning on getting the shocks and the disconnects. The shocks for obvious reasons and the disconnects well, just because I know it will help off the pavement for sure. Still wondering what shocks to get. Anyone have any more input?

Thanks again

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

4. scrapmetal

scrapmetal 1/2 ton status

mines got pro-comp fron 4in springs, and Rancho 5000, with a shackle flip in the rear with a four leaf pack and Rancho 5000's, and mine rides like a cadillac,, doesnt corner for [censored], but I didnt build it for that,,oh well,,

Never been stuck, just temporarily delayed.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://hometown.aol.com/bcscrapper/myhomepage/index.html>hometown.aol.com/bcscrapper/myhomepage/index.html</a>

5. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

I have been working on perfecting my ride for awhile too. I have the same lift as you, and here is what i have done to improve the ride.
    The Velvet Ride rear shakles really made a nice difference, I have Gas Charged Shocks in the rear, this helps control body roll. If you get your suspension soft, you will find it sways alot over un-even bumps, or going around corners. I do more highway driving than off road, so ride and handling is important to me. Hope this helps....

1990 K5 4" lift, 33's, Raptor Tranny and Velvet Rides....