Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Riding lawn mower selection

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big pappa b, Mar 19, 2005.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

It's getting close to grass cutting time. I have roughly 1.5 - 2 acres that i will be cutting every week and it's time to buy a riding mower. I want to stay below $2000. Some of the choices are:
    Craftsman (which was owned by MTD but now bought out by Electrolux..the vacuum people), Troybilt, Husqvarna and Cub Cadet.
    I'm looking at the automatics and not a 6 speed. I know they are more $$$ but they are a better trans. Another area of concern is the motor. I know the Kohlers have an oil pump (better lube). Most mowers have the Briggs motors. I have heard some bad things about them but you hear that about everything.
    Any mower mechanics care to speak up?
    So, what are you using? or had good luck with?

Thanks

2. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Kohlers are very good engines. I'd take a Kohler over a Briggs any day.

Not sure how many trees are on your property? If you do have alot of obsticles, get a zero-turn radias mower, the extra cost will be paid for with all the time saved. Dad has had a Dixon ZTR since probably the late 70's early 80's. And he's only on his 2nd one.

I can't recall the brand I use on my place , for some reason my mind went blank. Anyway it's also a zero turn with a 52" deck. I probably mow a little more than you with it and it can take up so 2.5 hours(lots of trees)

I've mowed with tractors before and the zero-turns just out mow them period.

My .02

3. big pappa b

Not many trees to worry about here, maybe 8 or so. Haven't really looked into the zero turns cause I thought they were all too expensive. Might look into them

4. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Well, they are a bit more and if you don't have alot of trees It might not be worth it. I just remembered the name of the one I use...Schwiess but it's almost 10K:blush: Later,

5. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have mowed the 1.5 to 2 acres with "tractor" style mowers for years. Never did it in less than 3 hours. Lots of trees and bushes. Well I always wanted a "Zero turn radius" mower. Ya know, ya steer with two sticks like a dozer. Anyway, splurged last year and spent $2500.00 for a Cub Cadet 42" cut. Always used a 48" before, but they wanted over $3000.00 for a 46" cut. Anyway, got it home and (having never used one, though I have operated dozers) and in a flat 2 hours everything was mowed! Amazing. I highly recommend them. Cut right up to bushes and stuff and turns in its own length!!! There is a place in Lenoir that will beat any price, good guy too. He's got a 78 Shovel-head for sale too!

6. big pappa b

Don't need a Harley. I have a 68 FLH Electra Glide :D

7. dontoe

Kool, mine leaks oil too! It's a '83 FXWG Wide Glide.:grin: :grin:

8. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

My mother has a Cub Cadet and it is the biggest pile of crap ever.

9. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

my grandparents have a craftman tractor style w/ the koehler engine, automatic tranny....that thing has been through hell and back, my grandfather never checks the oil, I check it, theres none on the stick, fill it up and it keeps on going.

We have a toro tractor, never had any problems for 8 years, then at the end of last season had a series of little problems, a few of the springs on linkages broke and so the deck would fall to the ground or the throttle return cable broke(auto tranny), just little stuff like that. Biggest thing was, it has a briggs motor, there are apparently 2 screws that hold the carburetor butterfly to the shaft, they backed out and the 2 screws went into the cylinder. Shut it down, my dad took it to a small engine shop near here, $30 and back in business. The guy said that is a problem w/ the briggs motors, said it usually happens after 3-5years. But wasnt too bad.

10. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

My F-I-L has a Cub and its a pile. The engine blew about 3 years after he bought it, the deck is crap, its falling apart, blah, blah, blah.

Cub Cadet=Junk

11. big pappa b

We made a choice today. Went to Sears and bought a Craftsman GT5000. It has a 25hp Kohler pro V-twin motor (725cc) and 54" deck :cool1:

I've been watching their sales and it was a closeout model that just happened to be $500 off

12. dontoe

Sounds like a smart deal!:waytogo:

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Used Scag ........................ Scag ............................ If I was going too buy a mower, I'd get a SCAG !!!! hydrostadic or whatever it's called. I'd get the walk behind with a valkie plate too stand on.

14. big pappa b

Those are fine but I'm sure even a used one is out of my budget. The one we bought will serve a double duty. I can attach a dozer blade to the front or rear (plus other attachments) to help with spreading rock for our driveway or even snow removal

15. Madbomber88

Madbomber88 1/2 ton status

Not sure how much they are going for, but I would get a Honda ride on. They have the best engines, and they are extremely reliable. If it were me though, I'd get a used walk behind. I landscaped for many years, and nothing beats the maneuverability of the walk behinds. I've had great luck with Scag and Bunton. You should be able to get a used 48"-52" for around a grand. Just my two cents

16. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

we have a 60 inch Woods, its a model 1200 or somethin like that, its pretty old, great mower only problem is it spins its tires all the damn time, and dad wont get meaty ones for it....which it doesnt really matter cuz its just the farm mower. In town we have a areins(if thats how you spell it) with a 40 something deck, nice tractor style mower but we smoke drive belts now and again and it doesnt turn for ****

17. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Quad mowers?

I have seen a few people here using those mowers you pull behind a Quad,they seem to work as well as a riding mower(basically the same deck as they use)--the Quad's are much better for plowing if they are a 4x4 than any riding mower with chains will be--my neighbor has one,I was amazed how much snow he could push with it..he used it a lot this winter!..:grin:

I just got a plow blade for a Quad from my nephew(wrecked his quad,it looks like the blade was used once or twice!)and I am going to adapt it to my 20 hp Yard-Man riding mower,but I'm not
    expecting spectacular results,even with chains..its just not heavy enough for more than 2-4 inches of snow,but it beats shovelling..

.By the way,the Yard Man is ok,but its just an MTD with a lemon colored plastic hood,and green paint on the steel panels--its not very rugged,the 20 hp kohler motor(vertical shaft:frown1: ) is a good one,and its a hydrostst tranny(which dont hold up well in my opinion,I had a few--they dont like heavy use)--

I'd look for an OLD Sears "Suburban" tractor with a 3 speed Hi-Lo range tranny,they were rugged,had a real frame,or an OLD IHC Cub Cadet from the 60's--Simplicity,Jacobson,Gravely,and "Bush Hog" were all good rugged tractors,but are practically collectors items now,hard to find and rather expensive unless you find one at a yard sale or swap meet...they were rugged enough to put a small bucket loader on them,and the horizontal shaft motors they used simplified adding any attachments like snowblowers,hydraulic pumps or generators,etc..

I dont have too much experience with the newer riding mowers--but after looking at the Huskevarna and Scott's ones at Lowes and Home Depot,and the newer John Deere's I wasnt impressed at all--they look pretty flimsy,like my MTD/Yard-Man--all motor.no frame,just stamped sheet metal..they dont make 'em like they used too.....:crazy:

18. dontoe

Wow, that's a big "deck"!!!:woot: :woot: :woot:
    [​IMG]

19. big pappa b

Yep...all the women in the area like my big deck :D :D

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Anybody remember the "Clinton" riding lawn mower ?? My father had one when I was a kid. They were made in Clinton, Ia.