Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rifle question

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by mud390, Aug 9, 2004.

1. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

So I'm thinking about buying a good all around hunting rifle. I was looking at either a .270, 300, or 30/30. I was leaning more towards a .270. I don't plan on hunting bears or anything like that. Mostly deer, maybe hogs/boars, but nothing huge. What are you thoughts on the best caliber and rifle for that caliber. I'm looking for the most bang for the buck (ba-da-bing!). Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance!

Kris

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Best all around cartridge is probably 30.06. It has been proven time and again. It is a jack of all trades type cartridge. It doesn't do anything extremely well but it does do everything good enough.

.270 is actually one of the least versitale cartridges that I know of. It is ok, but it doesn't have very good bullet weight selection.

Some of the calibers I would look at if I only had 1 rifle are (exclude the belted mags if you don't like recoil or need them)

300 Win Mag
    7mm Rem Mag
    .280 Rem

These calibers are widely available and proven. Ammo is very available with alot of different options. 30-30 is a caliber I wouldn't even consider for an all around rifle anymore with all the available cartidges that are better then it.

I am personally a fan of different calibers and these are some of the ones I like.

6.5x55 Mauser
    7x57 Mauser
    300 Weatherby (packs lots of punch)
    .257 Weatherby (shoots very flat and fast)
    .264 Win Mag

Most of these calibers are great on anything deer and smaller. 300 Weatherby will take about anything. The others will take things elk size with a good shot placement, and that requires a good operator.

Harley

3. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

he just answered more than I could.

4. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Everyone I've talked has mentioned 30/06. What about a 300? I haven't heard a lot about .300. I'm looking for a versatile rifle that can do it all and do it well. Something that can handle weather well also. I've almost completely made up mind that bolt action is what I'm looking for, so that is a major factor. Any more suggestions?

Kris

5. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Also, the rifle has to be left handed as I shoot southpaw.

Kris

6. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

here's a good way to find what kind of caliber you want to shoot, this chart will be a good reference for you and will even let you compare between 3 different grains, and calibers and it'll let you see how much they drop off at a certain distance after they been sighted in a certain range.

7. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Wow! That is a vertiable wealth of info! I didn't realize that there were that many different types of rounds available for the 30/06 and so few available for the .300 and .270. Alright, now that I've got all this new found info, a 30/06 is looking like the more obvious choice. So, with that, which 30/06 would you recommend for a lefty shooter? I'm not looking to spend all the money in my piggy bank, but I don't want a piece of crap either.

Kris

8. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

I say this one by Ruger is a good choice. you could also check out Remington or Winchester

all of these seem to be about the same in price range. me personaly, I like the Ruger myself, they make an excellent firearm.

9. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I have some experience with a Ruger 22 and was very pleased with it. I have also heard good things about the other two rifles. What are some things I should look for when I look at these guns? What about used? Would you even consider it, and is there anything special I should keep in mind if I decided to go that route?

Kris

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

This is what I was told by a crusty old Marine gunner (small arms expert) with many years in the Weapons & Training Battalion at Quantico:
    With a Ruger rifle, you're paying for the quality.
    With the less-expensive Remingtons & Winchesters, you're paying a premium for the name. It's not until you get into the really nice/expensive Rem/Win rifles that they start to truly shine above the competition.

Like I said, that's the gunner's opinion on this.

Oh, and I say 30-06 for an all-around rifle.

11. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

American Rifleman magazine (NRA) wrote an article many years ago titled "Budget Buck Busters". The gun that won hands down was the Winchester Model 94 in .30-30. I've taken many whitetail deer with mine. It's great for the deep hollows of Kentucky, where the longest shot you'll have (in most cases) is gonna be 150 yds. max. The .30-30 with a 180 gr. bullet has great knock-down power at that range, so you should have no trouble taking deer. It's also good in dense brush areas or woods where you would be somewhat restricted shouldering a longer rifle. With the angle eject system, you can mount almost any scope on it too. I think they're around $400 now. Bought mine when they were $150! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

The last few years I've been using a Winchester M70 Classic Featherweight .30-06 Sp w/Bausch & Lomb 3-9X32 scope for whitetail. Mine is forty+ years old, but looks and performs like it did right out of the box. I think they're around $750 new. Don't know what your budget is but this could be the last hunting rifle you'll ever buy. It's also available in stainless with a composite stock (for weather). Marine snipers used them in Vietnam - so - draw whatever conclusion you wish from that. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

If you ask 10 people their opinion on rifles you're gonna get 10 different "opinions". Most will mention .30-06 as one of the best all around cartridges, and Winchester, Remington and Ruger as the best delivery system. Good luck and happy hunting! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

12. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

I hunt with a ruger 338 win mag stainless steal and composit stock.
    although way to big for what you hunt they are an extremely nice rifle.

back when I was just into smaller game like deer I also used a 30/06 and it is a good all aroung rifle plenty of knock down power but not to much to ruin the meat.
    if I were you I would look into a stainless barrel and a composit stock they are very easy to maintain and will always look new.

maybe save a little money by buying a ruger and spend a little more on a really good scope. but that will be a whole thread by its self. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    This is what I was told by a crusty old Marine gunner (small arms expert) with many years in the Weapons & Training Battalion at Quantico:
    With a Ruger rifle, you're paying for the quality.
    With the less-expensive Remingtons & Winchesters, you're paying a premium for the name. It's not until you get into the really nice/expensive Rem/Win rifles that they start to truly shine above the competition.

Like I said, that's the gunner's opinion on this.

Oh, and I say 30-06 for an all-around rifle.

[/ QUOTE ]

as Ken said, you are paying for quality with the Ruger and in my opinion, it's well worth the few extra bones.

yes, I would buy a used gun, have several times and they shoot just like the new ones. I always check the action and trigger real good to make sure they don't bind or have a catch in them. also look for any stress cracks along the barrel to make sure the person didn't shoot any real high pressure (hot) loads thru it. also make sure the safety works correctly. one thing you can ask the person you are buying from is if the gun has had a trigger job done, this is done normaly to smoothe out the pull of the trigger and also to lessen some of the pull weight of it, I know several guys who have theirs set at 3 lbs or less, I think the standard pull weight is 7 lbs, not real sure on this figure.

14. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

As for rifle I would say Ruger, Remington, Savage. I wouldn't bother with the Winchesters. All the Win's I have seen in the last few years have been less then impressive.

Ruger makes a good all around rifle for quality vs. price. Savage rifles are pretty bland and cheap looking but they will shoot well. Savage puts all there money in the actions and barrels to make them shoot well but the exterior finish is boring. Remington makes a good rifle. I have a Remington 700 ADL and it shoots well. Nice crisp trigger and smooth bolt. Nothing mindblowing but it works and works well.

I have shot a few Rugers in my time and I have liked them all (rifle wise). My dad's 7mm Rem Mag (older one) shoots extremely well, and his new .338 Win Mag does too. The .338 is a stainless steel composite stock and I REALLY like that gun. The caliber is to much for what you want but the gun is nice. The price is pretty decent too depending on your local market.

Harley

15. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

Unless you want to rifle to shoot groundhogs up to deer, i wouldn't say 30-06. Yes that cal can do it all, but not as good as others in my opinion. If you will be shooting long distances, then I would say 300 win Mag.

Also, I would recommend getting a Browning. Yes, they are a little more expensive, but there warranty and Customer Service is second to none.

16. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Thats the beauty of flexibility- Having one cartridge that can do it all is next to impossible- 30-06 seems to have the right blend. Yes, specialized rounds like the winmag may have better application for some uses, but for an all around rifle, a 30-06 or a 308 is hard to beat. Easy to reload, rounds are cheap, and can be found almost anywhere.

But for small targets and for fun, hard to beat the ol 22. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

17. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ... or small targets and for fun, hard to beat the ol 22.

[/ QUOTE ]
    And for a little more (cost wise) that delivers a little more "ooomph" - you can't beat a .22 Mag. !!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

18. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Touche! touche!

Yes, the 22 mag has a lot more ummph acutally!

But you can get subsonic 22 LR rounds. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

19. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

30-06 is the all American favorite cartridge (ammo can be found everywhere) 300 mag is a LOT more gun than yuo'd need for deer (excellent for distant elk/caribones) and seriously consider the new Savages They've really stepped up tho the plate regarding quality and the new trigger can't be beat. My arsenal includes a 44mag lever action, 30-06 H&R single shot tack driver, and 6.5x55 Kimber /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

20. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

How do you like the lever? Its such an awesome cowboy classic. I thought the classic round was in a 30-30(I think) and made by Henry Arms?