Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rifle sight opinions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mr_clean, Aug 2, 2005.

1. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

I have a Win 30-30 I am taking in to have new sights put on. Any suggestions? Ones to stay away from? It's strictly a brush gun for deer hunting and will end up being my son's first deer gun in another 2 years. Right now it just has factory sights but the front sight is all bungled up...

Thanks!

Scott

2. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

my old 30-30 has a cheap scope on it. if you plan on upgrading to a scoped rifle for him in the future, it may be good to get him used to it. but then there is the advantage of open sights and quick target aquisition. you really have to ask yourself how the gun will be used. a scope may improve your son's accuracy and giving him more confidence and enthusiasm for the sport. but an open sight is more versatile. they do make scope mounts that allow the iron sights to be used by raising the scope.

3. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

I bought the gun so I could pull up and shoot quick when making drives in manzanita thickets, so I'd like to keep the iron sights for now.

I planned on letting my son (when he hits 12) use it and then when he's ready to graduate he can inherit my scoped 270.

I didn't know about iron sights and a scope on the same gun though.. I'll look into that!

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Just go to a local gunsmith and order a new front sight. Shouldn't cost more than 20 bucks also get a hood for an xtra $10-15 to protect it.
    Dont really see any need for need a fancy sight or a scope for a 30-30. :dunno:

5. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

I did call the gunsmith and he said it would be anywhere from a few bucks to as much as I wanted to spend... He made it sound like the choices were limitless and that is why I was asking if there was a sight that you all might prefer or one in particular to stay away from.

Deffinately not going to drop $100 on a $200 gun just for a sight...

6. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

When using open sights I have always been a big fan of ghost ring or peep sights. The Ashley Outdoors ghost ring sights are excellent for quick target acquisition. I have these on my Marlin 1895 45-70. The Williams Guide Reciever Sight (WGRS) is an excellent peep sight. I prefer these sights because the eye has a natural ability to center the tip of the front sight in the aperture of the rear sight. There are certainly some fundamentals when using an aperture sight that differ from conventional iron sights. With an aperture, you mudst keep the tip of the front sight in focus, letting the rear sight and the target appear as a blur, once you have mastered focusing only on the front sight, you will find aperture sights to be very accurate. The Marines teach recruits to hit a man sized target at 500 yards with the aperture sights on the M16. With standard 'notch' rear sights, you must shift your focus from the rear sight to the front sight to the target, all the while keeping them all in perfect alignment. Your eye will do this naturally for you with the aperture sights. There are slight differences in the 'aperture sights'. A peep sight has a smaller hole through the middle than a ghost ring sight. The peep sight has more of a margin around the hole. An aperture sight will have a large margin. A ghost ring is simply a small ring that you look through. An aperture can be likened to a dinner plate with a quarter sized hole through the center, a peep would be more like a saucer sized plate with maybe a half dollar sized hole in it, a ghost ring is likew a napkin ring.Of course I've exagerrated the sizes of these sights to try and illustrate the differences. Quigley (down under) had an aperture sight on his Sharps rifle. For game in thick cover, I would reccommend a ghost ring sich as that offered by Ashley Outdoors, I think they're called A.O. Systems now, your gunsmith will know what I'm talking about. Another good sight is the Lyman No. 2 tang sight. It looks just right on a lever action rifle too. With the ghost ring sight, you are able to look both through and around the rear sight at the same time, making for very quick target acquisition. But, If you don't have much experience with these sights, you might want to try out a peep such as the WGRS, as theyre easier to master, then if you like you could try a ghost ring. I hope I haven't overloaded you with info, if you have any more ???'s just ask. Also, I have not tried them yet, but the fiber optic front sights look to be pretty trick, and excellent for lower light conditions. Hope this helps.

Just read your last post, the sights I have referred to with the exception of the Lyman whill cost you around $40-$70, for the sights alone, without installation. If you would like to install your new sight(s) yourself, I can walk you through it.

7. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

Wow, great information. Thank you Mofugly. I'll stop in tomorrow armed with your information and see what I come up with. I may very well take you up on the walk-through also. Thanks again!

Scott

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ghost ring is definately a good way to go on a brush gun. Nice and quick aquisition, easy to learn on for your son, tough as a nail.

9. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Mofugly = Hammer
    Ghost ring = Nail

AO is a great choice. :D

10. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

You are funny! :D

Excellent avatar, too. :waytogo: