Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rigging up a winch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4trolls, Apr 11, 2005.

1. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

I have a ramsey 8000# winch, the solenoids were gone when I got it , so I hooked it up with a solenoid from a starter but it will only go one way. My question is does anybody know how to rig up the solenoids so that it will winch in and out?

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

You need at least 2 solinoids, one wired normal, one wired in reverse, and an on-off-on switch of some sort.

3. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

my winch has 4. two in parallel each way
    warn 8274

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Winner! Takes either 4 Ford type solenoids or two purpose built solenoids to reverse a winch. Cole-Hersee makes the 4 pole solenoids, but 10+ years ago they were $30 each and had a low limiting max current.

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I pulled this from the Ramsey site. It may help explain the solenoid assembly.

http://www.ramseypdfs.com/owners_search_pdfs/Parts List-REP 8000 3.6HP motor.pdf

btw, what is the model (exact) you have?

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I made my own...

I used 4 ford solenoids to make a power in/out switch for the winch on my small crane on a flatbed..It took a few hours with a battery,the 4 solenoids,and a old blower motor I had,and a bunch of wires and alligator clips to figure out which way to hook up all the wires(burned a few wires till I got it right! :blush: )--then when I got it working,I got out my pen and notebook and wrote it down,so I would know where the wires go should I need to replace a solenoid...

I mounted them in a galvanized metal box under the bed--they seem to hold up good,I've used the winch/crane a lot,and stalled it out more than a few times--the solenoids dont seem to mind,but my winch is only a 1500lb size like they use on a quad...

Funny,I was just messing with them yesterday,had to add a new ground wire..--I have put the flatbed/crane onto a trailer made from a 62 GMC 3/4 ton chassis,since the 74 K20 it was on before is headed for the crusher very soon--my back is too--not sure if it was worth all the effort,the flatbed was almost as rotted as the truck! :blush:

I have seen the solenoid switch assembly in the Burden Sales catolog( a salvage company) for about 35 bucks,all built and wired--I would have bought one in a heartbeat had I seen it before I built the one I made!--it will cost more for the solenoids than that--and it comes with a hand held remote switch too... :crazy: