Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Right Hand Smog Pump Bracket for Big Block 454

Discussion in 'Parts & Trucks Wanted' started by 1-ton, Mar 26, 2006.

1. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I need a right hand side smog pump bracket for a 1985 K30 with a 454. GM no longer has any right hand smog pump brackets for a 454. I have checked every junkyard in town, and none of them have one. I cannot get this truck smog tested without a smog pump, and the Nevada DMV says “tuff cookies if you cannot find one”. PLEASE do not try to sell me a smog pump bracket for a Small Block because they are not the same. I know this because I have wasted $35 on two Small Block brackets, which where represented as Big Block brackets to me, and they did not fit.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2006
  2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Maybe try calling some more distant yards and explaining what you need? :dunno: Might get lucky and find someone knowledgable and helpful...

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

did the truck come with smog pump from factory on the core support sticker? if no then how can thay say you need one. look in to the gvw cut off in the state smog checks. my state has a 8501 and up cut off.

just a few ideas to hopfully help you out in your problems. i have not seen one on any i have worked on in my area.

4. 1-ton

I went to one salvage locating company that is 48 state wide, and they said they found one in North California. I said "cool" how much, they said $35 with shipping and evrey thing, so I bought it. When it arrived, it turned out to be a bracket for a small block, which are a dime a dozen. I went to a local junkyard, which did a county wide search, and the same thing ended up happening with them, that happened with the one I got from California...when I drove to the yard they said it was at, it was only another small block bracket.

5. ryoken

I'm pretty sure I just read someone replying to you off topic in another thread about having one..... I'll take a peek around...

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I've got one on my '85 K30 which is also a 454. The smog pump has been removed but the brackets are still bolted on. How many pieces are there? I will see if its too much hassle and if not, will sell them to you.

7. 1-ton

The only thing I have that shows the factory smog equipment is an original factory air filter box with a decal diagram of the vacuum system, which shows one A.I.R pump on the right hand side of the engine. Nevada has no GVWR cut off for smog inspection requirments. The only cut off Nevada has is if a vehicle is 1966 or older, it only has to be smogged one time during initial purachase, and then never again after that.

Man, this is pissing me off. This truck was originaly purchased in Nevada truck back in 1985, when there where no smog inspections. Many people removed the smog equipment when modifying their vehicles, since they did not need it, but now Nevada requires an inspection for these vehicles which where manufactured before the inspection laws came to Nevada. And now GM does not even have the parts anymore to fix them.

This is totally unfair. How can the state of Nevada demand that a vehicle built for this state before smog inspections where enforced, and now are not even supported by the company that manufactured them, force me to come up with the parts to pass a smog inspection? :mad:

8. 1-ton

Cool man. PM me. If you could take a picture of it, I will be able to at least know if it is another small block bracket. Seeing how the Big Block brackets are such an elusive animal, I have not even seen one.

9. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I bought a BBC from RyanB. Since I'm going to drop it in my '73 K5, I'm smog exempt. So I won't need it. I have the bracket and pump lying on the floor of my shop right now. It's yours if you wanna pay shipping. PM me if you're interested, I don't check this forum all that often.

10. 1-ton

I just tried to PM you and I got this error

I guess you need to do a little house cleaning :wink1:

Yes, I am definitly interested in the bracket, and other stuff you have. I will try to PM you again later.

11. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Just cleared out a few pm's. What else ya want?

12. 1-ton

sent PM. It went through this time. Thanks :wink1: .

13. ryoken

14. 1-ton

Done deal. Thanks to user MoFugly13.