Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Right Hand Turning?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlaznRebel, Mar 28, 2003.

1. BlaznRebel

BlaznRebel 1/2 ton status

OK I have recently put a 6"lift on my blazer and when i did this the right hand turn is barely there. Is there a way to fix this? I really miss being able to turn right without taking up 3 lanes of traffic. Thnx for help in advancy /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

did you use a raised steering arm on the axle with the lift? did you lengthen the drag link? if not you might want to try one or both to get the steering box back to center when the wheels are straight.

-Scott

3. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

turn left 3 times

4. BlaznRebel

i used the raised steering arm when i lifted it, and is there some sarcasm there tecton? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

i kinda like tecton's idea, it's a cheap fix! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    did you check to make sure your steering box is centered?

6. BlaznRebel

sure haven't. I never had to center one before so not sure how to do so.

7. rick88blaze

basically you want to make sure your pitman arm is in the same place it was before you lifted it. was your steering wheel crooked after you lifted it?

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> OK, this is a pretty easy fix. Position the wheels straight forward, then disconnect the drag link from the pitman arm. Turn the steering wheel lock to lock, counting the turns so you can find the center. Now adjust the drag link so you can reattach it in the position that the pitman ends up in when it's in the middle of it's travel. Remove your steering wheel and put it back on straight if neccessary. </font>

9. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> OK, this is a pretty easy fix. Position the wheels straight forward, then disconnect the drag link from the pitman arm. Turn the steering wheel lock to lock, counting the turns so you can find the center. Now adjust the drag link so you can reattach it in the position that the pitman ends up in when it's in the middle of it's travel. Remove your steering wheel and put it back on straight if neccessary. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]but the steering wheel is keyed, as is everything else in the steering system except for the draglink, or atleast thats what I've learned ( the hard way)

10. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

thist stuff is all fine and dandy, but if he has not put a raised steering arm on it, you're askign for trouble, let alone the fact that you're not going to get that much adjustment ou tof the drag link without it.

-Scott

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]but the steering wheel is keyed, as is everything else in the steering system except for the draglink, or atleast thats what I've learned ( the hard way)

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> Wha? I've used two different steering columns in my truck, the original '78 non tilt and a '79 tilt, neither one had splines that were keyed for the steering wheel. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif </font>

12. rick88blaze

i think they started keying them in the early to mid '80's. i had an '85 that was keyed. they must have started it to make sure the steering wheel would go on straight from the factory or something. the only reason i know this is b/c i've scrapped the factory steering wheel on all of my chevy's for a smaller Grant wheel. i can't stand the bigger factory steering wheels. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    thist stuff is all fine and dandy, but if he has not put a raised steering arm on it, you're askign for trouble, let alone the fact that you're not going to get that much adjustment ou tof the drag link without it.

-Scott

[/ QUOTE ] He already said he has a raised steering arm it was like the 3rd reply. No offense but read a little of the thread before you start giving advice.