Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Right handed, Left Eyed

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ruthven13, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Anybody here who shoots right handed, but is left eyed? I feel like a retard everytime I try to aim. Tried using my left hand, but that was worse. Any tips to help me hit a few more clays? :confused:

2. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i'm left handed and right eyed. so i can't help.:laugh:

3. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Hey smartass... :grin: What do you do?

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm that way. I practiced and do fine with the right eye now. Maybe wear an eye patch over your left eye :D;)

5. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Due to a childhood injury, I cant close my left eye independently of the right. So I end up with the same issue. I wear a patch over the left eye when I shoot. Try that out. Should see an immediate improvement.

6. tucsonkfive

tucsonkfive 1/2 ton status

I have heard of wearing shooting glasses and puting a dot on the left lense forcing the right eye to focus. Never tried it though.

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Cross-dominance is a bitch..... :crazy:

I spent a LOT of time trying to play baseball as a kid, and could never hit the ball (Right handed, left-eyed...batted "Righty")

Much later in life I was finally tested for eye dominance, and realized that I would have been fine if I'd just tried batting "lefty" instead..... I tried it at the batting cages just to confirm, and sure enough I could make contact almost every time!!!! :mad:

I don't shoot much, but I hold the gun right handed and sight with my left eye....I have to put an unnatural "kink" in my shooting hand to line up the sights, but I seem to be fairly accurate on my targets....

8. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

i am the same way, i am right handed but shoot with my left eye. i am very accurate and i cant do it the other way

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Do they make left handed rifles? Maybe a stupid question...:crazy:

I have a Winchester Model 70, .308 cal...beautiful rifle with the jewled bolt and cherry stock. Problem is I'm a lefty and the relief on the stock is for a righty, as well as the bolt being on the wrong side for me. I inherited it from my Father-in-law after he passed away (as well as a 20 guage shotgun and a .303 Lee Ensfield), so I'll never get rid of it...but if they do make a lefty version I'd be inclined to buy one.

Rene

10. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Yea, a lot of firearms manufacturers make lefty rifles, especially popular models like the Win 70 and Rem 700. I'm sure you wouldn't have much trouble finding a southpaw rifle.

11. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I find it easier to aim with my opposite eye. I'm right handed and aim left. I usually hit a good percentage of the pigeons. I can't really give you any tips but I wouldn't recommend trying to switch eyes.:p:

12. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I'm left eye dominate and right handed, but I have never have had a problem shooting. I have always just closed my left eye. It's funny cause we were just talking about this at my fire station friday. Everyone there said that I should have had a hard time with shooting .. adjusting or whatever. The only thing I can think of is that I have been shooting since I was a little kid, so I guess I figured it out then. :dunno: They mentioned something about it causing poor depth perception too... I know I don't have a problem there. Maybe I'm just weird.. :deal:

13. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

My dad was right eye dominant and wrote right handed but shot shotguns and rifles lefty and pistols right handed. I am also right eye dominant but kick left footed, sure came in handy for soccer.

14. tRustyK5

The whole right and left handed thing gets weird.

I write left handed
    Baseball I'm a righty
    Soccer, righty
    Hockey and golf, righty
    Rifle, lefty
    pistol, righty
    Guitar, lefty
    Racket sports, either feels normal so I switch if I'm losing :)
    welding, either (comes in real handy)

My friend Stan is mostly right handed and writes right handed, yet Golf and Hockey he is a lefty.

Not much point to this post, just find it odd how the majority of things i do I do right handed, yet because I write left handed I'm considered a southpaw.

Also, some things I'm very left handed at, the rifle for example...I can't even comfortably hold it the other way. It feels so wrong it's ridiculous.

Rene

15. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I am left eye dominant and right handed. I have been shooting right handed all my life, my brother calles me "dead eye" 'cause I am a pretty damn good shot if I do say so myself. But, I practice a LOT. My dad is semi-ambidextrous, left eye dominant and he shoots better left handed. All major manufacturers make bolt guns in left handed versions. I myself have a Rem 700 in 7mm Mag that was my grandpas, he was a true lefty. I have read many times, in many books on shooting accurately, that the best thing a person who is right handed but left eye dominant can do is to learn to shoot lefty. It's supposed to be real strange for a while, but supposedly after you get the hang of it, you will be more accurate and able to shoot with both eyes open. I can shoot with both eyes open if I concentrate real hard on the vision through my right eye being the 'dominant' picture in my mind, but it takes a lot of concentration. I have shot my dads and granpas rifles lefty a few times, and it feels really strange to me. But then again, I shoot just fine as far as I'm concerned right handed. Besides, I would not want to change now as I have a deep affection for my Rem 700 30-06, she's done me VERY well over the years, like an extension of my body when I'm totin' her.

16. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I'm left handed - left eyed. I shoot left handed, with RH rifles. I've worked out that I can support the rifle with my left hand and operate the bolt with my right. Should it ever come to pass, LH rifles are a VERY difficult sell. We used to get them on consignment (would NEVER buy one) at the Gun shop every once in a while. Almost always went back to their owner unsold.

My expience has been that people who are right handed tend to be RH for everything far more than people who are left handed being LH for everything. LH people tend to be able to swap back and forth more. I think it's b/c the world is mostly a RH world so lefty's have had to learn to adapt more than RH people have.

BTW, if any offspring are LH or right brain dominate, find a copy of "Unicorns are Real." It really helped my Aunt overcome a lifetime of agony in learning things.

17. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

I"m the same way, left eye dominant and right handed. I was the director of shooting sports at the boy scout camp for several years and the way I learned to deal with it was this. As far as shotgun shooting was concerned I kept both eyes open, after the pigeon was slung, I"d follow it up and lead then close my left eye and aim with my right. Basically sight with both aim with right. Shooting left handed is just too uncomfortable for me. They tried to switch me in training, didn't work. Rifle shooting I can do both, just takes a little patience and focus. Bow hunting is pretty much the same I just close my left eye.

Lots of practice and you can pull it off.

18. tRustyK5

Both my girls are right handed, even though statistically one of the two should also have been a lefty. If I recall the stats left handedness is about 1 in 10. Chances of one of a child being left handed increase to 1 in 2 if one parent is left handed.

Rene

19. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Cool, so I am not that alone in this. Have had a hard time closing my left eye while trying to follow the bird, but it sounds like I just need more practice. That is the reason why I like a scope on a rifle, it sits up off the barrel so I can use my left eye easier. AR-15's are good for this :grin: Thanks for the input!