Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

right size subs

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Guest66, Jul 23, 2001.

1. Guest66

Guest66 Registered Member

I was wondering if anyone had any recomendations on brand/wattage/and size of subs for myself, i want something that bumps when i listen to rap and something that sounds good when i listen to my hardcore rock.

2. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

well i recommend 12's to everyone... around 150-200 watts each.. but remember when you start adding subs you take up cargo space.. if your not conserned about that then there isnt any reason not to go with 12's.. as for what type.. well what is your price range... do you already have an amp.. a set of subs... let me know if space is an issue, how much you are willing to spend, if you have any amps/subs etc.. already.. and exactly what you want it to do.. i.e. piss off your neighbors in the middle of the night, piss off the block, or vibrate you so bad that it pops your back for you without you moving.. hehehee.. sound funny to say that but i had a system at one time with 2 12's that would vibrate a ball cap off your head... i loved it...

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

3. Guest66

Cargo space and money is not an option, i was thinking of 12's myself because if im getting subs i want to go all the way, i dont have any subs or amps or anything, im going to go from scratch and start a whole new sound system, piss off the whole block is about what i want. Thanks for your info

4. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

well then you have alot of options to choose from... Really piss off the block go with 4 12's... listen to subs and see which you like best.. my personal fav. are the ppi pistons, alpine type r, jl audio w3 (waiting on the release of the w7 lineup), etc... not cheap subs but really strong... Also i am looking into the jl audio amps... 1.5 to 4 ohm they push out full power... so lets say you take 4 8ohm subs.. run then all parrell you end up with a 2 ohm load into lets say a jl audio 500.1 mono block amp.. you end up pushing 125 watts to each sub.. more then enough to move them good... Now jl audio has to push out 20 percent more power then they are rated so.... if it states that it is a 500.1 you are really getting 550 watts into one channel..check out there web site about the amp.. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jlaudio.com>www.jlaudio.com</a>... So basically what i am saying is these amps will push out the same power at 1.5 ohm up to 4 ohm... you will have to read up on them at the web site... You can get the amp on ebay for around 350 or so... and the subs i would listen to alot of different types and see what you like the sounds off... dont buy the first setup you hear.. listen to alot.. as for the box... if you want booooom then i would say go with a ported enclosure or a bandpass setup.. and last but not least... remember the system is only as good as the weakest link... if you send a dirty signal to the amp you will get a dirty signal out of the amp.. so get a good radio to run it all.. good wiring.. etc...

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

You actually listen to rap in your truck? I tried listening to Nelly in my truck and it just wasn't right. CCR is much more at home there.
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> At some point I'll be done building my truck and can actually go wheeling. Until then, I guess sex and alcohol will have to do. [​IMG]

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

There is some truth to what you are saying about "music that fits" the K5.

Recently on the BlazerFest weekend in Hollister, GoldRush had on some original country music...not that "new country" stuff....I'm not a country music fan (I doubt I could name 5 country musicians), but something about the location, and the trucks and those songs just seemed RIGHT! [​IMG]

....and it wasn't even CRANKING loud, or through a bitchin' stereo system. Hmmmm, maybe the beer was clouding my opinions?!?! [​IMG]

-Greg72

7. Guest66

I listen to some rap in my truck when im at school, drivin round or muddin, its either hardcore rock like slipknot mudvayne primer 55 etc. or its Black Sabbath, Lynnard Skynnard, Ted Nugent etc., But at school its the beats

8. Guest66

OK, i printed that out so i wont forget it all and i can go to my local audio dealers and look around, Thanks alot for your info.

9. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Old country goes with any old truck. Just awsome! Old trucks like it too...[​IMG]

I've got a mind like a . . . a . . . what's that thing called?

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</a>