Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

right way to disconect speedo cable?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by OKIEnVA, Jan 17, 2006.

1. OKIEnVA

OKIEnVA Registered Member

the other day i got a 87 blazer runs good for 200 bucks. but it wont pass va inspection. but the dash lights dont work and the other day i was tinkerin around with it but when i went to pull the needle off the speed ometer the little metal shaft that it sits on broke off in the needle. and i never could figure ouyt how to disconect the back of the speedo. and since now im gonna have to buy a new speedo, im gonna need to know how to put her in.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just go get one out of a wrecking yard, or one from someone on here selling a cluster. I wouldn't buy a new one, for the price of new (from LMC) you could probably get 3 or 4 complete clusters from here.

Pulling the needles off is fairly difficult to do without breaking the gauge. Why were you taking it off exactly?

And the post title, how to pull the speedo cable off, you unbolt the instrument panel bezel (big black or aluminum covered piece that goes over the gauge, headlight switch, etc) unbolt the cluster housing (blue-ish piece) either pull it towards you or move it so it WILL come towards you, and feed some speedometer cable through the firewall from the engine bay, then back inside the truck, reach behind the cluster, follow the cable to where it hits the back of the speedo and pull the spring steel tab (on the "top" of the cable/speedometer as it's mounted) towards you, pulling the cluster housing as well. Will still be wires and what not connected, but if you JUST want to get the speedo out, now you can by unbolting all the stuff in the front.

Since you have VSS bolted to the back of your speedometer, I don't believe you can feed enough speedometer cable through the cluster without actually unbolting the cluster from the dash. You could try, but I think the VSS wires are too short.

3. OKIEnVA

OKIEnVA Registered Member

when i was messin with the lights one of the sockets fell through the back and i eventually got it. but i was tryin to see how the cluster came out and i couldnt hardly get any slack out of the cable. but i will pull it into the shop here tomarrow and see how it goes.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If you want some slack in the cable , unbolt the holding clamp under the brake booster on the firewall in the engine compartment .

It keeps the cable off the linkage and exhaust , but it also makes speedo removal a little harder as well .

Or you could pull the dashpad :wink1:

(I may have said speedo you'd need in the garage somewhere too )