Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Right way to mount a winch?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by surpip, Jan 28, 2005.

1. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Is there a right way to mount a winch? I have seen both types of mounting with the "feet" of the winch pointing toward the ground, and with the "feet" pointing toward the fairlead. I think the second option makes more sence but im still curious.

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

thouse are the two best ways, just think about how the stress will transfer to the bolts.

feet to wards is best but if you had the feet faceing away from the fairlead, all the tention would be put o the theads of the bolts.
    i would ant it on the mount and sholder of the bolt.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

depends on the winch doesnt it? my 8274 is designed to mount bolts-towards-fairlead. It may not be the best way with respect to bolt strength/orientation... but its how the winch was designed and how you mount it.

j

4. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Email the winch manufacturer if it's not in the directions. Some of them have pretty girly cases and if you mount them feet down instead of feet forward it may go *snap*.

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

The way the 8274 mounts takes the bolts out of the equation. All they do is keep the winch from bouncing around. Though the bracket it's bolted to needs more than normal thot.