Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

RII's(remote ignition interupt)systems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by white_knight, Mar 31, 2002.

1. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

RII\'s(remote ignition interupt)systems

Thinking of entering a sort of side by side tuff truck or mini monster truck race/show( maybe even jumping over some cars-use the bb:)). One of the prerequesites is an RII. I understand they range about $1500.00 USD. Does anyone know what's involved in building one. Never seen one . Wondering how difficult it would be to make your own

2. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Re: RII\'s(remote ignition interupt)systems

It's the remote kill switch that all monster trucks are required to use. So the safety officials can shut the truck off if it gets out of control or something happens to the driver. I guess you could make your own but it'd take a fair amount of knowledge about electrical systems. Does anyone know what kind of radio system they use? I'm guessing it's probably a PCM system hooked to a relay in the trucks ignition system.

3. white_knight

That's exactly what they're asking for. I figure if we can get our hands on one or see it, maybe we'd be able to figure it out. Just didn't really want to blow $1500.00 USD to try this thing. Unless it's cheaper somewhere else.

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

If you had asked this 3 weeks ago I could have gotten a guy I worked w/ to get some pics, a schematic, or something from his buddy who owns Gun Slinger. He quit 2 weeks ago and I dont know how to get ahold of him now. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif Ill try to see if I can find him and see if he can/will take me or hook me up w/ Scott Hartsock. Cant make any promises but Ill try.

5. white_knight

Awesome. Thanks

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Do they require for you to have the complete unit, or just a place to connect it to? I would think that the racing organizations would use their own control boxes, so that they know that they are built properly, work correctly, etc. If so, then you would just need the interface, so that they could plug their box into your truck.

7. BADASSBLAZE

BADASSBLAZE Registered Member

White Knight,

Go to www.milgarage.com and you can find a R-II setup there for a good price. Hope this helps!!

8. white_knight

I'll check it out. Thanks.
    Not 100% sure on what they need yet, will get confirmation soon.

9. Pure Insanity

I havent forgotten ya! I got a guy trying to contact the guy that quit. He left him a message and now all I can do is wait. I will hopefully hear from him by the end of the week.

10. white_knight

Thanks man /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

11. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

You might to see what the guys on stroid.com have to say. I checked tem and they are practically "street legal" monster mudders in Fl. They might be able to tell you what is in the trucks. I can double what others said about a remote system and add; it has to be able to be accessed by a responding track official, normally put on the back end where your license plate would be.

12. Pure Insanity

I didnt even think about Stroid...Good call fr8. I have spoken to the guy that runs it, and he doesnt live far from me.

www.stroid.com

13. HarryH3

Sounds like you're describing a main power cutoff switch. Those just allow track workers to cut all power to the vehicle in the event of a crash or fire. They just have to grab the knob and switch it to "off".

What white knight is looking for is a an ignition interuppter box that is radio controlled. It allows track officials to kill the engine in your vehicle if it looks like you are out of control. They push a botton on the sidelines and your engine stalls. It's designed to prevent trucks with stuck throttles, unconscious drivers, etc. from driving into the spectators. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

14. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Hey man havent seen you in a while......course I havent been in too. All the systems I am familiar with That are considered RII's for monster trucks are a two mechanisim system that operates manually and via remote interface. I am thinking that he can make one from a radio control rec. and a high tq. servo. .......they have r/c car servos that can put out 5 ft.lb.tq ......that should be enough to yank a kill switch....he has to have a ground freq. that would normally run 75 mhz fm.

15. HarryH3

Between work and spring fever I haven't had much time for surfing the web. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

I'm surprised that the racing organizations don't supply the RII boxes for their series. All it would require is for every truck to have a standard interface to the box. This way it wouldn't require every truck to have its own box, which may or may not work when it's really needed. Then they could just move the boxes from truck to truck when they're racing.

16. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I think he said in the post that there is a company that does it. And most likely there is not a very open market so they are the big boys on the block. I am guessing it was like TSM and their brake kits, until ORD-derbinator-Misfit-etc.....came around and started making the kits. So I am guessing they are playing the supply and demand thing.

17. white_knight

Well , looks like we're in for the race. We got the invite. It's going to be a monster truck jam and then the so called mini monsters/tuff truck. We might be able to get around the RII's. Waiting for another meeting shortly. Will let you guys know what they come up with. They do want something that will shut the truck down in case of emergency. Whatever the case, will get some good mpegs of the event. It's the first week of July