Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rim and Tire guru's, need advice....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Overkill, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

Rim and Tire guru\'s, need advice....

I posses and plan on hanging 2.5 tons under the K5. One of my problems is deciding what rim/tire setup to go with. I was originally thinking custom rims, but for $200 a piece I will have to sell one of my kids before I could actually afford them.. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif...Now Im kicking around hummer rims. I have questions, however, about bolt pattern, backspacing and rim width. I've tried searching and have waded through thousands of posts, but can't quite seem to find what Im looking for. I am planning on swampers in the 44 inch by 18 inch range (mud) and was wondering if hummer rims could be gotten wide enough to mount the swampers. The 44's also come in 15 and 16.5 inch, do hummer rims come in defferint sizes? Without going full custom and costing mega-bucks....of course /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Just trying to finalize a few more details so I can get my ducks in a row for the swap. Any info would be mucho appreciated...

Thanks,

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: Rim and Tire guru\'s, need advice....

I think you're pretty much stuck with custom wheels. Hummer wheels won't bolt to a 2.5-ton axle, so they would have to be customized also. Hummer wheels also aren't nearly wide enough for 44's. So you'd be looking at widening the Hummer wheels and then having custom centers made and installed. That will probably put you right back at around the $200 each price tag. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

2.5 ton axles have a high "cool" factor, but they'll add a LOT of weight to your truck. Do you really have enough motor to require axles that stout? It would be way cheaper to go with a 14-bolt out back and a Dana 60 up front. They're strong enough for all but the most totally abusive applications and wheels for them will set you back about $50 each and are available off the shelf. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

I will also be going 4 wheel steering so the 14ff wouldnt work too good, /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. I guess I was just optimistic that the military setup would be universal enough to make work cheaply...I guess it's back to square 2 (Square 1 was aquiring the 2.5's, hehe). I guess it's back to the original plan and making my own. BTW, anyone have any 10 or 12 inch wide steel rims to get rid of real cheap, it doesn't matter what lug pattern since they will be gutted anyway. Would 10" even be wide enough for 44X18's, or would 12" be better? Thanks again for the info..

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You might check with Danial at www.USA6x6.com He could probably hook you up with a set of Duece rims and some 48 inch Michelins for what the boggers would set you back. There is a picture of 72Zebra with that combination right on the front page.
    Danial hangs out on the PBB and you can probaly catch him there and pick his brain for free. Look in Chit Chat, He's usualy in there cutting up.

5. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

That might not be a bad idea. Are the 48 inchers street legal (ish) /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I need to keep it legal enough to get to the local wheeling spots as I don't have a tow rig. If they are DOT approved that would be a consideration. Thanks again for the info...

6. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Yep, the 48 inchers are dot approved, and they're radials. You can get them cheaper than 44" Swampers.

John

7. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

Guess I be changing my plans slightly!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Now all I got to do is find a source with descent prices and it's AWN!! Thanks yet again.

8. Grim-Reaper

Well NEW will kill you but Danial sells 80% or better used for a pretty reasonable price. Those tires are used by European Military on stuff like Mogs.

9. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

Going that big, I think 50% would suffice. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I sent Daniel an email, we'll see what kind of price I can get, that's the biggest factor right now. 48" should put my gearing right about perfect. 6.72 on 48". Im getting all anxious now! haha. Time will tell.

10. Grim-Reaper

I'll have to let you know when I hit Daytona again. Get you to bring it out and run it down the beach /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Hell I might be down there for the Turkey Rod run. My bud goes every year and always invites me. Maybe I'll go this year. It's close to that time and I doubt you will have it together that quick.

11. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

Definitely give me a shout, I would love to do some posing on the beach, hehe. You tend to see alot of posers there now, 44 inch boggers on 10 bolt rears with IFS under the nose /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif, and everything real shiny and purdy, /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif.

Would be a blast, but turkey day this year will be a tough goal, 'specially with the shortage of funds. I still have a ton of work to do yet, springs (after I figure out how tall I need to be), fender trimming (more like mad hacking), and the worst part, steering (aiming for full hydro, front and rear). My best estimate puts me around early summer for actual trail worthiness. Mid winter for duct taped together trial runs in the back yard, /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif....

Maybe we can still get together and BS and such. Im only about 45 minutes from Daytona.

Later,

12. SkulzNBonz

Yeah, I think the "used" 48" tires go for around $150-$200 out here (OK). They are 20" centers, so custom rims are pretty much mandatory.

John

13. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

Any ballpark on what deuce centers on a set of rims for the 48's would run? I think I read somewhere where I could get just the centers for around $50/ea, custom made. I should be able to find some junk yard rims for cheap to hack up. We'll see what Daniel has in mind for price. I would love to be able to get rims and tires from him and have them alreay mounted when they hit my doorstep /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif, but I think that will probably fall into the "wishful thinking" catagory. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

14. SkulzNBonz

My buddy has done this swap to a 'burban. I'll ask him tonight what he paid for his centers.

John

15. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

Cool. I just got done checking Daniels site out and dream shopping. I just spent $3400 /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. And that was just to get the axles I already have setup and ready for transplant! That's not gonna happen for real so I guess it's time to start honing my engineering skills /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. Definitely goin lincoln locker in the rear, maybe detroit in the front for steering purposes. Home-made pinion brake setup. I can't justify the $350 for a bracket, rotor, and caliper. The steering is still gonna kill me though, $970...ouch! I will be scouring bone yards! haha. Anyone want to buy a kidney? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif . Im guessing I will be making my own rims too, back to plan A. Built not bought, right? It's AWN! Again! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif.

Let me know how your buddy made out with this swap. It will be a good guage as far as how Im doing. Thanks.

16. SkulzNBonz

As far as his swap, it's alot of home brew engineering. He uses a Hydro boost steering set up, with a custom steering arm. It is a front steer, not front & back. Turbo 400 tranny w/ a divorced Rockwell t-case. I know that most use a 205 t-case, but this guy goes big w/ everything. Custom spring mounts, and a shackle flip from He!!. Check out Steve Sharp's Blazer on www.extreme4wheelin.com.

John

17. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

Damn! that's a setup. i won't be going nearly as extreme as Steve Sharp. I got some good ideas though. Thanks for the link. To the bat-drawing board! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif