Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rim backspacing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sope, Nov 22, 2005.

1. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

Heres my situation. I have a 87 Chev shortbox with 4" BDS suspension lift, a 2 " body lift and a lot of trimming on the front and back of my front fenders. I have been running 35's on 10 bolt axles. There was lots of room and no tire rub. I am in the process of converting to a D60. a ff14bolt and new 38 by 12.5 / 15" TSL Swampers. I am not woried about calliper grinding. I can grind all day. I want to know what wheel beckspacing would be the best fit for an 8/15" rim. My local tire shop has a good on a used set with 4.5" backspacing. My concern is these rims might put my wheels too much under the truck and stuff them in to the inner fenders. (Just a note. This truck will be wheeled often on trails and rocks, not a mud truck)
    Any advice?

2. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

4" should line an 8" rim up perfect with the fender in the front, and stick in slightly in the rear. I think 4.5" would stick too far in. 3.75-4" is just right

3. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

what about 4.5 bs on a 10" rim?

4. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

I want to go 8" because I feel they are harder to unseat while aired down and easier to seat if they do come off. My bigest worry is that whith 4.5 backspacing they will stuff in to my inner fender. I'm not as worried about my fender because I can always trim more.

5. Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly 1/2 ton status Premium Member

6. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

werd

7. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the feedback. From the info I got here I figure I will buy new white spokes with 3.75" backspacing and grind my calipers. In the last month I have bought 4 38" swampers, a used D60 and 14 bolt and two Detroit lockers :D so I'm broke and have to wait a bit to buy these rims :doah: so if anyone has any more good info let me know.
    Thanks,JP

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

4.5 of BS is a LOT of grinding... like maybe enough to mess up the calipers. I had to take a ton off to fit 4.25" backspacing rims and thanks to their design, the amount you have to grind off increases substantially the more BS you have. If I was you, I'd get some 15x10 Eaton HD rims. Relatively cheap, plenty strong and their stock BS is like 3-3.5". Hardly require any grinding at all.

j

9. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i bought 3" BS 15x10's for the 60. i havent picked up the 60 yet, but ive been told by many that with 3" bs you may not have to grind at all, depending on the rim.

10. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

I figured my only option was white spoke and I hate white spoke. This is the first I've heard of Eaton rims for a light truck. Where are they usually available. Do you have to order them from a HD ruck shop or do tire shops have access to them? This is the kind of info I need. Thanks.