Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rim backspacing?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DesertDueler, Oct 12, 2001.

1. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I am going to put the 38.5x14.50/15 TSL SXs on the Jimmy. I will be using 10 inch wide wheels to protect the beads, how much backspacing should I use?

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

2. DesertDueler

Anybody? I dont want to hit the inner fender wells on the rear.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. chevrules

chevrules 1/2 ton status

You should be fine with 4" backspacing.

chevrules...always has and always will

4. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Stock backspacing is 3 5/8".....there are possible clearance problems with 4"......mostly just enough to know off the weights, and rub on your tie rod end(s)......I have 10" with 4" backspacing, and I have a clearance prob with the tie rod end on the passenger side......the rear are a non-issue.......try 'em on the front first..........JD

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

5. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

I have 4" of backspacing on my 10"s. They fit fine but there is only about 1/4" of clearance to the tie rod ends. Don't know if this will clear wheel weights as they are not balanced.

I like the stance a lot though, I'm not big on tires sticking way out. Not very functional, gets hung up on tight trees and wears out bearings faster.

Still Poundin' "pavment" after all these years!!! [​IMG]

6. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

What rims you have makes a diffeence too. Some are constructed differently.

Be best to take the truck somewhere that has rims in stock so you can test fit before you buy.

Still Poundin' "pavment" after all these years!!! [​IMG]

7. DesertDueler

I was going to put the black rockcrawler wheels on the Jimmy that are currently on the burb, but I found out the the rears have more backspacing than the front:( So I cant rotate the tires because they hit the tire rode on the pass. side, and the rear is even narrower that it should be. So much for using those wheels. I will have to but new ones for the burb and the jimmy.

8. DesertDueler

Did you grind down the tie rod end or did you let it clearence itself?