Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rim Backspacing????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5on38s, Dec 28, 2002.

1. K5on38s

K5on38s Registered Member

i just put a 14b FF in my blazer and and now im buying rims... what is the lug pattern? and backspacing im lookin for? i need front and rear.... im an unedjumucated newbie im assuming
    Front- gm Corp 10b
    Bolt Pattern-6x5.5
    Back Spacing-4

Rear - 14 bolt gm corp:
    Bolt Pattern-8X6.5
    Back Spacing-4.25

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

That looks right, depending on how wide or in this case narrow your 14 bolt is compared to your front axle , you could run 4" backspacing on the rear to true up the trac width.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

> i just put a 14b FF in my blazer and and now im buying
    > rims... what is the lug pattern?

ff14b's are generally 8 lug... as far as I know there is only one 8 lug pattern.

> and backspacing im lookin for?

now it gets hairy and it may depend more on what you have for a front axle. Right now I have a D60 front... because I am running 15" rims, I try to keep the backspacing as low as possible, so I wont have to grind as much. If you still have your 10b in there, I dont think you would have to worry about what backspacing your rims have, anything from 3.25-4.25" would work fine. AFAIK, there are no problems with any 15" or larger rim of any backspacing fitting over the drums of a ff14... so thats not really a factor. You may consider lower backspacing though, if someday you want to upgrade to a 1-ton front end too.

> i need front and rear.... im an unedjumucated newbie im
    > assuming
    > Front- gm Corp 10b
    > Bolt Pattern-6x5.5
    > Back Spacing-4
    >
    > Rear - 14 bolt gm corp:
    > Bolt Pattern-8X6.5
    > Back Spacing-4.25

why more backspacing on the rear axle? On both sets of rims I have the backspacing is the same front and rear. I have used 1.5" wheel spacers in the rear to even the axle width front to rear, so I use the same type of wheel front and rear. Im not a big fan of having different sized/backspaced wheels in the front and rear... what kind of spare would you carry? Could cause issues. Anyway, if u had any other questions, lemme know!

j

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I was reading another post of his, he's running 6 lug up front and 8 lug out back so I was recomending a wider stance in the rear to even out the front and rear trac width, he's going to have to run 2 spares anyhow with the 6 / 8 lig front / rear difference.

5. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Question, are you going to change the front to a D60?
    What size tires are you running? 15", 16" 16.5"?
    It all matters when asking.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    as far as I know there is only one 8 lug pattern

[/ QUOTE ] Check with someone that has a late model Ford Superduty. For some reason, Ford decided that the world really needed another 8-lug bolt pattern. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

good call on the newer furd 8 lug, i heard something about that a lil while back but it didnt register until you said somethin about it. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

at any rate, i was in a position in which i *could* have gone 6 lug front 8 lug rear and I said "screw that" and waited until i got the d60. to much of a PITA to have diff patterns front and rear imo, unless its purely a street machine... then i guess it doesnt matter quite so much. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Is it 8 on 170mm????

9. HarryH3

I don't remember the exact bolt circle, but it only fits Ford Superduty's. So in a few years there will be used 8-lug wheels for sale that may or may not fit our rigs. I can't imagine why they decided they needed to be different.

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

They're FURDs they have to be different.
    Aren't they the ones that have a different tranny for each size engine? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Everything is going metric, that's why. Ever notice that 88-98 Chevy trucks have metric lug nuts?

I bet all 8 lug trucks will go to that Superduty pattern soon.

12. HarryH3

There's a lot more on 'em metric than just the lug nuts! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif But at least they still kept the bolt pattern that's been standard for years. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. HarryH3

It's even worse than that! Sometimes stuff from one 302 won't fit on another 302. Ya gotta really be dedicated to start swapping major parts of Ford's. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif