Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rim Center Hole is bigger than the hub - Problem?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tocsin, Oct 13, 2006.

1. tocsin

tocsin Registered Member

87' K5 with the stock 6 lug axles front and rear.

I recently put a set of Centerline 15x8 rims on my K5 and noticed that the center hole on the rim isn't as small as the stock steels were. There is about a 3/8" gap between the front hub tube and the rim center hole. Is this a problem as it's being held only by the studs? The stock rims were a pretty tight fit on the front and back, so I wasn't sure if the hubs themselves absorbed some of the shock from bumps & ruts. Is this anything to be concerned about?

Only running 235x75x15's Wild Country TXR's on it for now until I can afford a set of 15x10 chrome mod's and 33x12.5x15's. Got the Centerlines on Craigslist for $40 and had the tires lying around, so the price was right...

Thanks all.
    Will - Boise, ID

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

They're not designed to be "hub-centric". The tapered seats on the lug holes is what centers up the rims, and as long as the lug nuts are torqued correctly the lug studs aren't absorbing any impacts.

Rene

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Uh ya what he said:D

Ira

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm still waiting for "hub-centric" II, "The Revolution" to come out on DVD! :wink1:

Good Answer, by the way Rene!!!