Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rim prep question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Oct 23, 2005.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I just ordered my new rims from Summit. They are 15X8 wagon wheel 8x6.5 bolt patterm with 3.75" backspacing. Question is they are white and I am going to paint them flat black what do I need to do to paint these. I have been told just use a scotch brite pad but which one green or red or do I need to sand with something. Also do I need to prime or can I just rattle can over the existing paint once it is roughed up. I will post up once I get the 60 ground down to fit these with pictures and a small report just to add to all of the other dana 60 15" rim posts.

Thanks

Ira

2. gauder

gauder Banned

I've had okay luck with the maroon. But you could always hit them with 240 and then 400 grit paper.

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

maroon 3M is about a 400 grit, which is fine.. take all the shine off.. blow off.. clean with denatured alcohol on paper towels... rattlecan away... :D

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Kewl I am all about the cheap way. My wife has one of those little "mouse" sanders I wonder if I could use that and speed up the process. Also should I also rough up and paint the part between the beads on the rim. As in the part of the rim that is inside the tire and not seen.

Thanks

Ira

5. gauder

gauder Banned

I don't think the mouse sander will save you much time, you'll still need to go in by hand to get to all the spots it can't reach.

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The sander is shaped like a tear drop so the front is like a point and the rear is like a rounded square. It can get into some pretty tight spots. I guess the only thing to do is to try it.

Ira

7. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

scuff pad will be fine for new rims.. just get all the nooks and crannies... should go pretty quick..... quicker than the sander...you can also "wet" scuff with those very effectively.. painting the bead area is fine...

8. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Alright just was not looking forward to having sore arms if it goes quick it should not be too bad.

Thanks again

Ira

9. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I just took a small wire brush and roughed them up pretty good. Then went over them real quick with Scotchbrite pad. I used Duplicolor bedliner paint and put on a couple good coats. Then I sealed it up with satin black. I reallly like the way mine turned out.

[​IMG]

10. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Ya know anybody in base maint? I bet there is a sandblaster sitting in a corner somewhere, just beggin for some action.

11. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

We are pretty small and due to the fact that we live in Kalifornia, the repair activity decided that the EPA concerns outweighed the benefit of a sandblaster.

Ira