Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

RIM QUESTION.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by riz, Oct 11, 2000.

1. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

I'm looking to buy a set of rims right now but I have a question for you guys. One has a piece approximately 1" x 1/4" taken out of it right on the lip. My question is would this hurt anything, like would it be hard to balance, would it tear up the tire, would it seal ok, etc. I'd really appreciate your advise on this one. If it would cause problems, I won't buy them. Please reply.

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

2. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I'm assuming these wheels are aluminum and not steel. If I were you, unless getting an absolutely killer deal, I would pass them up. The tire might not seal correctly or may pop the bead while mounted, or it might lead to cracking or getting caught on a rock or something to that effect. Would you be able to afford a new wheel just like the others to replace the broken one? That would be the route to take. But personally if I couldn't buy a replacement wheel I'd pass the deal up.

89 K5 Silverado
    http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com

3. BigBurban

BigBurban 1/2 ton status

Like he said... I'd just factor in the cost of a replacement wheel and base your offer to the seller on that.

<font color=red>~BigBurban</font color=red>
    http://www.geocities.com/crash607

4. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    That rim would probably be ok for your spare tire, but I would not use it otherwise. And I would pass on the whole thing unless it is a smoken deal.

5. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

Thanks a ton guys. I appreciate the advise.....I think I'll pass now. I guess it's time to break the bank and buy brand new ones. Oh well, then they'll be perfect and I won't have to worry about them.

P.S. Do any of you know anybody selling a great set of 15x10 6 lug Mickey Thompson classics or Eagle 589's ? Is anyone running any deals on these right now ? I remember a while back 4 wheel parts was doing a buy 3 get the 4th free special....I just missed out on that one...was hoping for something like that again.

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

6. Texan

Texan 1/2 ton status

If these are the MT's your lookin' at, I'd say budget another $200 and buy a new wheel. You wind up with a set of 5 (4 definate goods and 1 for a spare) and still spend alot less than buying a complete new set...

My 2 cents,

<font color=orange>STEVE<font color=orange>[​IMG]
    89 Blazer
    67 Camaro 468
    68 CamaroSS 327
    98 GTP

7. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    "Discount tire" will make you a smoken deal on the Eagle 589's if you go in to there store http://www.tires.com

8. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

But remember, Discount Tire is not always discount tire. The nationwide Discount Tire is Americas Tire in CA, and the Discount Tire in CA is in no way affiliated with that Company. Just some trivia for you.

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

9. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

Thanks Scoob,

I'll check them out.

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>