Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rim Repair

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Snowman1000, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Snowman1000

Snowman1000 1/2 ton status

It would just figure that I just bought a set of 5 32x11.5x15 rims and Allterrain tires and one of the rims has holes that are mushroomed out from being loose and now the lugs wont hold it on tight and I tried buying some wider lug nuts and that was a no go is there a way to repair the inner part of the rim what I was thinking about doing was machining a peice of 1/4 inch plate, drilling six holes to match the lug pattern and champfering them on the mill to match the pitch of the champfer on the lug nuts and putting it over to damaged lugs to hold the tire in place and stopping it from moving good idea or not???

2. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Might work if I did that it would be the spare for sure

3. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I dont' think there is a safe way to repair that for the street. Do whatever seems safe for off road, but if a DD, get new rims.

4. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

I fixed one like that once, clamped a centered brake drum behind it, drilled brand new holes, and used a larger drill bit to make the angle for the lugnuts. worked perfect, although I wouldnt' take a road trip with it.

5. Snowman1000

Snowman1000 1/2 ton status

Well I called the guy and he said that he has another rim for the set that I can have so I dont think that ill need to do it but like you said maybe for a spare I think that I might do it though perhaps for offroad. I dont think that it would hurt it for in town use this isnt my dd but accotionally it takes a dd reponsibility when it breaks down but do you think it would be safe this truck dosent see too many miles but I would like it to be safe.