Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rim size must be 16.5 with a 14 FF and Dana 44?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Silverado4x4, Feb 24, 2001.

1. Silverado4x4

Silverado4x4 Registered Member

I was told that i need 16.5 rims to clear the brakes on a 14 bolt. Is this true? I'm swapping in a 14 FF and a Dana 44 so i need new rims. Also, is the rear end narrower with this combo too? As where the rear tires are tucked in compared to the fronts on a stock 1/2 ton? If so i wanna order the right backspacing to stick out the rears equal with the front.

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I don't believe it is necasary to have 16.5.... Almost all 8 lug rims are 16 or 16.5, but I know I have seen the U.S. Wheel wagon wheel in 15" w/ 8 lugs. But most likely w/ 8 lug you will need to to run 16's (the major reason I don't want 8 lugs). All 3/4 ton 14's are the same 3" narrower as far as I know. The dualies and one tones differ of course.

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>You can get 8 lug 15" wheels, but only in steel. American Racing, Bart, Stockon, Wheel Vintiques, MRT and 4WPW all make them. They will fit over all 14 bolt drums, the only clearance issues are the front calipers. Heres my 15x10 American Racing white wagon (well, they were white when I bought them [​IMG] [​IMG] ) wheels on my '83 1 ton 14 bolt.

[​IMG]

I have TSM rear disks but I test fitted the wheels before I threw the drums out and they cleared with room to spare. You will need to grind the front backing plates slightly then grind the calipers to match. How much you need to grind depends on what backspacing your wheels have. The standard backspacing for K5s is 4", and thats what I have. The less backspacing, the more the wheels will stick out and require less grinding. On the other hand, this decreases turning radius and it eats up ball joints and wheel bearings. Only the outer half of the caliper has to go under the wheel, so the grinding doesnt effect strength. Get a 4" high-speed grinder and a spare disk, then keep fitting a rim on until it clears. It took me about an hour to clear my calipers. My wheel bearings need adjusting,so when I do that I'll try and get a digital camera so I can post pictures of my ground calipers compared to some stock ones since this comes up almost daily. If you have any more questions just ask</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Weld Racing makes the SR Series wheels in 15 inch for 8 lugs. Best thing about these wheels, you can get them in backspacing in 2,3,4,5,6,7, and 8 inches. I have seen these rims in magazines on one ton axles. Give Weld a call at 1-800-676-9353.

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Hey K30, will those rims also work on a Dana 60 front?

Thanks............

<font color=orange>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>

6. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>You need driveshaft brakes to run 15" wheels on an 8 lug axle. Aluminum is thicker so they will never clear conventional brakes without tons of backspacing.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes the Welds will work with D60's, but I dont know exactly how much grinding needs to be done. If you get the 2" backspacing wheels, you may not have to grind as much as you would with any other 15" rims with 3.5 or 4 inch b.s. Give Weld the call and ask them.

biggray71: Not all aluminum rims are thicker than steel. The Welds are NOT. Those SR Series are a three piece forging, meaning they take sheets of aluminum and press them to the desired shape. I have Super Single II's on my 85 and another set of the same in the shed. I looked at the hole for the valve stem and they are the same thickness as a steel wheel. Up by the beads and lips feel about the same as the wheel too. The center part of the rim where the lugs are is a lot thicker. The Super Single II wheels have a 3200 lbs. weight rating on EACH wheel!! No other wheel manufacturer matches or even comes close to that.

The only aluminum wheels I know of that are "thicker" than steel wheels are the cast type. These are the rims where aluminum is poured into molds forming the shape of the rims. When they are done and cooled, they are shaped further on machines where they do the drilling, and final finishing, etc. These rims are known to be the thicker types and will not work on a D60, but CAN work on a D44 with grinding done to the backing plate and calipers.