Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rim size question and grinding????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chulisohombre, Jul 5, 2002.

1. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

im changing out my 1/2 ton hubs and all up front when i can find the parts to 3/4 ton.i know you have to grind some with 15 inch rims,but how about 16's.or is it just easier to go with 16.5's.what are the pros/cons of each rim size???
    thanx in advance.

2. efilnikufecin

efilnikufecin 1/2 ton status

i've run 15's on 3/4 ton front axle.you don't have to grind too much to get them to clear.on my 91 i chose 16's just because i did not want to mess with grinding.16.5 suck.they have no safety bead and like to pop off the bead alot if you air down below 10psi.i'm running 16.5 on my 78 to clear the dana 60 calipers.but i found out the hard way why these wheels suck.after blowing out a few beads i got beadlocks.remounting a 42" tire is hell on the trail.if i were you i'd get 16's,that is if you can get the tires you want in 16's if not go with 15's and grind the calipers.i would not run 16.5's unless there beadlocks(for trail use).hope this helps.

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

If you had searched a bit, you might have found this link I've posted a dozen times...

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

when i first put my 3/4 ton axels in i was running 40" on 15x10's. Ihad to grind some off the calipers. not much. mostly casting. I just put on a set of 44's with heavier 15x14" rims and had to grind more off the caliper brackets. not enough to worry about. I would stay with 15's over 16.5's. unless your gonna run beadlocks, the 15's will stay on rim better when aired down.

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i run 16in on my one ton setup dana 60 front and 14ff rear and had to do no grinding at all /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. Mike.S

Mike.S Registered Member

Whats up with the names ? Any way, One of you guys was saying what a pain it is to remount a tire on the trail, I saw a show on the "Discovery" channel a few years ago about a group of guys up at the north pole. They had these big ass rigs that looked like monster trucks with bus type bodies and the tires they ran were much bigger then 44's. They were talking about having to do "trail fix's" and what they had to do if they had a tire change needed. Anyway, they showed how they re-seated a bead. With the tire and wheel laying on the ground, this guy sprayed ether into the tire for a couple of minutes then lit it up. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif BOOM! /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif The tire was re-seated. Of course they recommended "NOT" to do this at home but I guess in a life or death situation its a alternative. I think I would rather walk but it was cool to watch.

7. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

It's not minutes. A couple of quick squirts of starting fluild will do the trick.

8. chulisohombre

ive seen and read your link a couple of times.i actually learned from it.but i also wanted to hear from other sources about their experiences with the different size wheels.thanx and it was/is a good article. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Those trucks are from an Icelandic company(forgot the name but they were featured in FOURWHEELER a while back) Anyway, those are Toyota Land Crusiers and the tires are 44" Dick Cepek Fun Country's, not sure where you could get that size anymore since Dick Cepek went belly-up but I bet there's some around.

10. chulisohombre

i watched a show last week on discovery where they were bear watching.i think the truck was icelandic tours on the side.i only caught the end so i didnt get to see the tire rebeading with the ether.i bet it looked pretty kool.maybe ill catch it from the beginning next time. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

11. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I read recently in one of the mags that some company bought out the cepeck name and is bring the line of tires back out.