Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rim size question.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Big'nBadK5, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Big'nBadK5

Big'nBadK5 Registered Member

Can i run 15" rims on a 14bff w/ the stock drums and a d44? it has 16's on it right now and they look kinda tight. just wondering for when i get the new wheels.
    another thing, what is the difference between all of the different rims? all i know is everyone swears by 15's for off roading if you dont have bead lock rims. thanks.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Yes, 15's will fit on a 14 bolt just fine. As far as the dana 44 up front - if it's a 3/4 ton (8 lug) model - you'll have to grind some material off of the calipers and maybe the backing plates. They'll fit fine on a 1/2 ton (6 lug) dana 44.
    On 15" and 16" rims, the part of the rim where the tire bead contacts is at a very steep angle (I think maybe vertical, but not sure) The 16.5" rims are less desireable because the bead mount surface is at a 45 degree angle. Tires will "pop a bead" (ie, come off the rim) easier on these wheels because of that angle - especially at lower air pressures.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

ditto what the other guy said, no probs on the ff14b... may need some grinding up front. 15s are good rims... cheap, lots of tire sizes available, and (slightly) lighter than larger rims.

j

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just keep your 16s. In the past, more tires were available for 15s, but you can get nearly every size tire for a 16 inch rim now and you won't have to grind your brakes.

I already had 15 inch tires so I went with 8 lug, 15" wheels and ground my front brakes, but that sucked. If I had it to do all over, I'd just have 16" wheels and tires.