Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rim Size???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudNurI, Nov 9, 2001.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Finally got MudNurI ALMOST done- fenders on etc..
    but we ran into a MAJOR problem-

I have 305's on 16x8 rims that I thought were going to fit on the Blazer, which is now back on the stock axles. The rear's were a little problem, but a few washer's and they sat in the correct place, though tucked under the fender- (on the Suburban, these tires/rims stuck out about 3/4 inch) then we went to put the fronts on- they aren't even close- they hit the tie-rod before even being all the way on. Not to mention the fact that these rims have the lugnuts that are 4.50 a piece, and they are too big for the axles. My question to you master's, how in the world am I suppose to know what backspacing and overall size rims will fit on this thing?

--Brandy

IF ONLY THE 3 YEAR OLD COULD TURN A WRENCH
    1986 K5 4" skyjacker suspension 3 " body, 14 bolt rear 12 bolt dana 44 front, TIRED ol 305-

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

That year sub did they come off? The K5 rear axle is shorter than the front axle, there was a post on this and the best answer stated was, to create a secondary traction path. If you go your local tire shop i.e. NTB they can tell what your rim specs are. They have this neat tool gizmo thing. But it could just be found out if you know what the wheel came off of.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/thatguydrew23>http://community.webshots.com/user/thatguydrew23</a>
    "JEEP....SO GIRLY, BARBIE HAD TO HAVE IT"

3. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I had these tires on my 94 Suburban, they fit that nicely- they were quite a bit bigger than the original's- which was even nicer.... I am leaning towards buying some "cheaper" rims, getting them powder coated,

1986 K5 4" skyjacker suspension 3 " body, 14 bolt rear 12 bolt dana 44 front, TIRED ol 305-

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Brandy, those wheels have WAY too much backspacing for a K5. You'll need to find a set of wheels with the correct backspacing for your K5 (Typically 3.5 to 4.25 inches). If you notice, the face of the rim is set way out close to the outer edge of the rim. Wheels for your K5 will have the face of the rim set back further from the edge.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

You know the worst part about this entire thing-- I spent about 3 days looking over a catalog before getting these for the Burb- now they do me no good--- UUGGHH!!!!! Any thoughts on powdercoating rims? I want to get MT Baja Claw Radials-- but if I spend that much on tires, I can't get 300 rims-- until at least I sell these--

thanks harry!

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

That's a bummer! But I know how you feel. I picked up a nice set of 6-lug Centerlines for my '90 Suburban, figuring that I'd never beat on it, so the 1/2-ton axles would be OK. But I would have to change the gears, 'cause 35 inch tires just aren't the hot ticket with 3.73 gears. Then I ran across a deal on a 3/4-ton axle setup with a 4.10 rear and figured that would be less trouble and cost than swapping gears in the current axles. Then I went and bought a 454, since the 14-bolt can handle the torque. [​IMG] So I'll have to eventually sell the Centerlines and pony up for some 8-lug wheels when I get ready to swap the axles. [​IMG]

If your current wheels are in nice shape, then you should be able to sell them to offset the cost of the next set. Ahh, ain't wheelin' fun? [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...