Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rim size

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84K5cedric, Aug 31, 2002.

1. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

I'm looking to buy new rim's and tires. I have 4" of suspension (springs) lift and plan on getting 33's or 35's. I know I will probably need a trim if I go with the 35's. (anyone able to confirm this?)

My question is this: What advantage or disadvantage will 15x10's offer vs 15x8's? From what I gather, the 10's will make a wider footprint, while the 8's would make it a bit taller. But what about airing down? Would the 8's offer a better bead in aired down conditions?

Lastly, I'm wondering about backspacing. How much is the most I can run and still clear my caliper/dustshield? I want to try to keep them tucked under the fender as much as possible in an effort to protect my body work.

2. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

15x10's will get you more foot print which means better traction, great for sand or mud. 15x8's will make your sidewall less exposed so if you wheel in terrain with sharp rocks I would go with 15x8's. If your truck flexes good you might rub with 35's, maybe you can avoid it by just putting some bigger bumpstops on or if you really need the flex do some minor fender trimming.

3. JP's K5

JP's K5 Registered Member

If your still running the stock 10 bolt rear and dana 44 front you should not have a problem running 35's with a 10" rim. I ran that setup with sway bar disconnects and a 4" lift and never rubbed. I switched to 3/4 ton running gear with the same setup and started to rub even when the sway bar was connected! The 3/4 ton is just wide enough to make it connect. The 10" Welds I was running before had a 4" backspacing I believe.

Hope this helps.

4. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

im runnin 15x8 4.25 backspacing 8 lug rims. they are chrome wagon wheels and with 31"s dont even come close.im gettin 35"s this weekend and will let ya know how they are on the 3/4ton running gear

NITRO

5. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

hey great info guys. 4 inches of backspacing is what i was looking at on the 15x10 rims I am planning to buy.

thanks

6. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I have a 4 inch lift, stock wheels 15 x 8 with 35s (couldnt afford new wheels). The front doesnt rub at all (not much flex though). The rear rubs the inner fender well at full flex. Neither has come close to rubbing the body.