Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rim width Q with 38's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by morphed86k10, Dec 7, 2002.

1. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

Rim width Q with 38\'s

Looking to buy some new wheels and tires and am strongly considering going with 2.5 backspaced 15" wheels. Currently I'd get some 35's but the next set of tires the truck gets is going to be some 38" TSL radials (i.e. when it isn't my daily driver). Question is how will the wide 38" radials take to an 8" wide rim (that I would prefer for 35's), or should I just get the 15x10's and deal with the wheel stickout for a year? Anyone have any pics with these combos?

I wheel in a lot of sand, but intersperced with high speed runs, so I don't usually air down past 15psi.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Re: Rim width Q with 38\'s

Most people don't know this, and just go by the look and what others say but actually a 12.5" wde tire 35 or 38, is best with a 9" rim so a 10 is too much.
    8" is fine for bead retention, I have that now and going to 7 soon so I can air down with no worries.

3. morphed86k10

actually, when I said 38, I meant the wide radials, I think they are 15.50 inches wide.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I ran the 38" TSL radials on 10s, and from the looks of them on those rims they would be fine on 8s. However, if it's not goig to be a daily driver, I would like to recommend that you go with a bias instead. The radials are nice on the street, but they have real weak sidewalls. AN 8" gash in a brand new $300 tire proved that to me. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif</font color>

5. morphed86k10

I've read that radial tires are better for sand (which is a major wheeling terrain for me) because of the stable tread pattern, as well as lighter. Also, some high speed desert roads are pretty common, I like to pretend I'm prerunning. Those were the reasons for the radials. I don't know how bias plys act at speed, never driven on them.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

for sand snow, and street, radial is better.
    Going on rocks bias has stronger sidewalls to protect it.
    So I guess your choice is right on the money.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'll admit that the radials rocked in pismo. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif If you don't need the sidewall strength then radial would be the way to go. </font color>