Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rim Widths

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by spac30dyss3y, May 16, 2003.

1. spac30dyss3y

spac30dyss3y Registered Member

How does a 15X8 in rim affect a 33-12.5-15 tire, versus a 15X10 in rim? Does the tire become less wide when mounted or what exactly? I guess my question is: How does the width of the rim affect the width of the tire? And why would someone by a 15X8 vs a 15X10 in rim? Thanks

2. spac30dyss3y

Anyone give a crap?

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

You only wainted 2 hrs...give it a day or two. I'm not sure cause I'm never run them but I'm thinking the narrower wheel would just be more protected by sidewall.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    And why would someone by a 15X8 vs a 15X10 in rim? Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

15X8s are cheaper, marginally lighter, and generally make a tire sit a bit narrower/taller. I have my street tyres (35x12.5x15 Procomp MTs) on 15x8 rims, works great. Sometimes a narrower rim can be the difference between a tire fitting and a tire rubbing. shane74's 38.5s fit great on his rig and the narrow rims seem to be the key.

j

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

An 8 inch rim will crown the center of the tire, causing it to wear down faster than the outside edges of the tires. Less vehicle stability is also an attribute of using a narrower wheel.

The tire tucks in under the fenders on the 8 inch rim, whereas on a 10 inch rim, the tire will be sticking out somewhat.

6. spac30dyss3y

I got a deal on a set of used Centerline Hellcats Style 34.
    $300 for 4 in pretty good condition. They are size 15 x 8, though, and I'm trying to decide if I should go for them, or buy a new set of 15 x 10's of some other rim. Anyone know of any problems with these rims (ie the cap that goes over the lugs, etc)? thanks