Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ring and Pinion Probs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by poinzey, Jun 17, 2004.

1. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, I need some help diagnosing a problem. Today I parked the blazer on a steep(30 degree) incline on our loading dock. When I let off the brake to get out, the truck started rolling forward, making a loud kachunk, kachunk, kachunk. It rolled about a foot like this until i applied the brake again. After I let off this time it held. It sounded like the noise was coming from the rear axle area. I don't know much about axles, but the only thing I can think of would be the ring and pinion gears slipping. Any other thoughts? or ideas how I should go about troubleshooting this?

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds to me like your tranny wasnt in park all the way(asuuming you have an automatic)your linkage may be out of adjustment or perhaps someone shifted it into park before it was completely stopped and it damaged the parking pawl and pin in the tranny--sometimes the bolts that hold the park pawl to the tranny case come lose or break off n the case--they are under the pan(you have to pull the tranny pan to get to them).If you have a manual tranny--unless your transfer case wasnt in gear all the way,or you have a really lose chain in it(if its chain drive)I dont know what t tell ya--a loose chain would probably been jumping when you accelerate,so I kinda doubt thats your problem.Its probably in the park pawl and ratchet assembly in the tranny,as far as I know they can be replaced without pulling the tranny out. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

Great, That'll give me a good starting point. I'm hoping to get it out to a friends house tomorrow where I can do a more thorough check on it.